Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   My Jeep is Dying ( HELP) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/my-jeep-is-dying-help-34004.html)

JohnsonJeep05 01-13-2012 04:19 AM

My Jeep is Dying ( HELP)

I own a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is having an electrical heart attack. To the point that it wouldnt start so i had it Towed To AAA being that they do all of my repairs and they got it to crank but it still has major issues, I.E. my Flashers work But my Headlights dont. The Dash is lit up like a Christmas Tree.. Every Check service light and messages and air bag warning it lit up and the MPH and the Rpm gauges dont work ither...they reset the computers a few times but it comes right back like nothing has happen. Has anybody else experienced this..

An the real harsh part about all this.. it happens 2 days before i was going to trade it in. All with Less than 100K in mileage...

FlyinRyan 01-13-2012 04:32 AM

Re: My Jeep is Dying ( HELP)

Bad pcm or wiring harness

JohnsonJeep05 01-13-2012 04:33 AM

how expensive is that?

FlyinRyan 01-13-2012 05:00 AM

Assuming im right, bring the lube..

Scottina06 01-13-2012 08:00 AM

have the battery checked, check the connections and make sure theres no corrosion etc. These Jeeps really dislike electrical problems with the battery etc.

JohnsonJeep05 01-13-2012 10:16 AM

Checked and its dead

Scottina06 01-13-2012 01:56 PM

That could be the problem.....

sent from my HTC EVO

2005JGC 01-13-2012 03:06 PM

yep check the battery, there are some symptoms you shared that indicate communication failure, but modules go batty w/ low voltage.

FlyinRyan 01-13-2012 04:23 PM

Have to include battery as well...it sounded from the description like it was checked.

Bleeding Blue 01-13-2012 05:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are you getting on a trade if you dont mind me asking? I also have an 05 3.7 and was considering trading it in....

Blueflame1979 01-15-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 551732)
Assuming im right, bring the lube..

Not to laugh but I thought this was hilarious. Anyway good luck with that Bro.

soontobesrt 01-17-2012 05:35 PM

Please, post up the solution if/when you find one.

To add to already posted, I know the TCM module for the trans can play into this as well. Funny as it may seem they all tie together with the can-bus system and any faulty module can make any other one go haywire from my experience so best to have a scanner that can read all your modules plugged in and then pull all codes from all the comps.

Id bet the battery was the issue though, low voltage will make everything go nuts. Harnesses dont tend to go bad for the most part, but definitely a viable option so is worth having someone go through the main harness and look for exposed/cut wires etc. Moisture and rain getting where they shouldn't can also cause havoc so look at all your seals around doors and other trim to see if maybe waters going somewhere it shouldn't be?

GL getting it diagnosed and fixed, keep us posted.