Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Dropped Grand for service last night (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/dropped-grand-for-service-last-night-34036.html)

Frank TJ 01-14-2012 08:23 AM

Dropped Grand for service last night

My Overland is in for it's first warranty repair now. We have owned the Jeep for exactly one year this past week and have had no issues until recently. I am using Huffines Jeep in Plano Texas and am hoping for a good experience, first time in this dealers service dept.
They are correcting the following issues:
Service Tire Pressure message
FCW Off message/ACC unavailable
Brake light on(even when e brake is off)
Stability control off warning light for no reason
Serv 4x4 message when turning left
430N update to make IPhone 4 work
TSB update for transmission

Hoping to get it back next week with all corrected. I'm pretty satisfied with the first year of ownership, these are the only problems I've encountered.

CaptRB 01-14-2012 09:39 AM

Re: Dropped Grand for service last night

This is where Jeep needs to get its act together and wake up. In the last 7 years I owned Subaru Outback, Subaru Tribeca, Subaru Legacy GT, Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Sedona. All were bought new except for the Outback. Not one of these cars needed ANY service in the first or second years. My current Legacy and Mitsu SUV have never had an issue in nearly 3 years.
With or without a warranty my time is my most valuable asset. I still plan to buy a 2012 or 2013 Overland, but I hope these reports are not indicative of a commonplace scenario for the new GC.

Robert B
NY

Scottina06 01-14-2012 09:42 AM

your on an internet forum where members will always report problems. In reality Jeep is the most reliable domestic brand.

marc4427 01-14-2012 10:13 AM

I agree with Scott, if you go to any other brand forum , you will see many reported problems with there cars . My 2012 is too early to judge but never had a problem with my 2007 and 2010 GC , only at the dealership for oil changes.

Mogul 01-14-2012 08:08 PM

I don't have a WK2 (yet), but I can comment on that initial small issues doesn't necessarily mean much on the overall reliability of a new vehicle. Given the overall complexity of new cars and the integration of all the systems, it's pretty amazing how well put together everything is.

I have a 2000 WJ (first and only owner) that had some minor initial issues in the first few months of ownership. But over the last 11-12 years and 194,000 miles, this thing has been remarkably reliable. Has never left me stranded. It's amazing how durable it has been.

For instance:

Only had to replace the starter at 192,000 miles. Still working on original alternator, tie rod ends, front ball joints, exhaust. I have replaced the radiator, rear upper control arm and ball joint, drivers window regulator, clock ring under the steering wheel, climate control module for A/C switch, drivers seat bracket (this was definitely under designed). Only last week had to replace the front driveshaft. But these things have been spread out over time and all well over 100,000 miles into it.

Everything else has been normal wear items..... battery, brakes, shocks, tires, liftgate struts, etc; or something that broke for a reason....trail abuse or similar.

After all of the years and miles it still runs strong, doesn't burn oil. While the outside has some battle scars, it still looks good and the interior is almost like new.

My two cents on Jeep reliability and durability, though mine was built over 10 years ago. By all accounts the WK2 quality should surpass the WJ.:thumbsup:

Willir2 01-16-2012 03:16 PM

Knock on wood!

TaxiDriver 01-16-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogul (Post 552672)

My two cents on Jeep reliability and durability, though mine was built over 10 years ago. By all accounts the WK2 quality should surpass the WJ.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 552352)
your on an internet forum where members will always report problems. In reality Jeep is the most reliable domestic brand.

I certainly hope so. Jeep should have these small issues worked out by now.

frog_a_lot 01-16-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB (Post 552350)
This is where Jeep needs to get its act together and wake up. In the last 7 years I owned Subaru Outback, Subaru Tribeca, Subaru Legacy GT, Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Sedona. All were bought new except for the Outback. Not one of these cars needed ANY service in the first or second years. My current Legacy and Mitsu SUV have never had an issue in nearly 3 years.
With or without a warranty my time is my most valuable asset. I still plan to buy a 2012 or 2013 Overland, but I hope these reports are not indicative of a commonplace scenario for the new GC.

Robert B
NY

In the 1st year we owned our last Subaru Liberty/Legacy we replaced 2 clutches, a few pumps, 4 sets of rear tyres (rear suspension was chewing holes in them then moment you put more than about 50kg in the boot), and then the entire engine.

Frank TJ 01-17-2012 09:06 PM

Well got the Jeep back and I'm pleased. Everything I listed was repaired. The main problem turned out to be a bad ground somewhere in the rear of the Jeep. Kinda odd a ground in back would cause the issues I had...

Only gripe....they could have washed it. My wife drives an Infiniti and if you just go near the dealership it gets washed.

Mogul 01-17-2012 09:11 PM

Glad they were able to find the problem, those types of things can be a challenge to find.

Brady_SS 01-18-2012 08:58 AM

Glad to hear everything got addressed. I purchased my Overland from that dealership and have not visited their service department since the day I brought it home. Sounds like they know what they are doing.

bmrisko 01-18-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank TJ (Post 554891)
Only gripe....they could have washed it. My wife drives an Infiniti and if you just go near the dealership it gets washed.

That's one of the perks Infiniti advertises and includes in their ownership experience. Jeep doesn't advertise that fact and I would never expect a wash. Shoot, I'd much prefer to do my own car washes and know they aren't using some mitt that was dropped on the ground or the same mitt that was used to wash wheels and paint!