Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   used k&n from amazon came new in box! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/used-k-and-n-from-amazon-came-new-in-box-34045.html)

08JeepGC 01-14-2012 11:53 AM

used k&n from amazon came new in box!

I bought a used k&n drop in filter from Amazon warehouse deals for $21 the other week. I took a chance with a used filter even though the condition said used-like new. When it arrived at the house it was brand new in box and the filter still had the sealed plastic wrap around it. :D

Point saying if you are in the market for a k&n check out amazon warehouse deals.

The filter will pay for itself quickly since now I am consistently getting 13mpg in the city instead of 11.5mpg with the paper filter.

Drew's'Z 01-14-2012 04:42 PM

Re: used k&n from amazon came new in box!

That's a great deal. Nice increase in mpg's to.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-14-2012 05:36 PM

That increase wasnt from the filter lol but it will pay for itself because you wont have to keep paying for paper filters every few thousand miles

08JeepGC 01-14-2012 11:17 PM

The increase was from the filter. My driving style stayed the same, ambient temp is the same. 50 miles after I put the filter in it slowly went up to 13. Keep in mind the old filter was very restrictive and I had no idea how many miles were on it because I bought the jeep used.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-14-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08JeepGC (Post 552752)
The increase was from the filter. My driving style stayed the same, ambient temp is the same. 50 miles after I put the filter in it slowly went up to 13. Keep in mind the old filter was very restrictive and I had no idea how many miles were on it because I bought the jeep used.

Unless your old filter was caked with dirt you are not going to get a 10% increase. In which case you would have got the same increase by putting in a new paper filter

2005JGC 01-15-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 552759)
Unless your old filter was caked with dirt you are not going to get a 10% increase. In which case you would have got the same increase by putting in a new paper filter

Truth!

Milous 01-15-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskajeepguy (Post 552759)
in which case you would have got the same increase by putting in a new paper filter

Exactly!!!

You could run with NO filter and not see an increase in mileage or HP.

Redpit 01-15-2012 03:40 AM

I agree with the rest (should be no real gain in mpg), regardless you got a good deal!

08JeepGC 01-15-2012 01:10 PM

A filter may net some increase but I cleaned the throttle body around the same time. I bought the jeep used at 37k miles and it looked like it was never cleaned. So maybe the cleaning helped out a little bit. The oil was really caked on.

brentwoodkris 01-15-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08JeepGC (Post 553010)
A filter may net some increase but I cleaned the throttle body around the same time. I bought the jeep used at 37k miles and it looked like it was never cleaned. So maybe the cleaning helped out a little bit. The oil was really caked on.

+1 on the TB. Just cleaned mine and had close to 3mm of caked on crap. Took me 20 minutes of scrubbing with a toothbrush and TB Cleaner to get it all shiny again.