Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Ambient lighting (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/ambient-lighting-34052.html)

phox 01-14-2012 02:19 PM

Ambient lighting

So I've seen it in a lot of higher end cars, BMW's, Audi's and Rovers

But my father's land rover LR4 has the most impressive ambient lighting. probably because I have a real affinity for cool white LED. in the LR4 it's near all the door handles, just a nice little bit of light in the evenings.

so I was thinking of doing something similar. has anyone had any experience with doing this? or any suggestions? so far my idea was to actually drill some holes for the bulbs, but if anyone has some other suggestions I'm open to it. was thinking possibly under the seats and under the dash as well.

also, later tonight I'll try and grab some photos of my dads LR4 so you all can see what I'm talking about.

DAVY27 01-14-2012 02:40 PM

Re: Ambient lighting

looking forward to the pics/ideas of the LR4. Im currently thinking about doing something similar in the jeep. My plan is to have a bulb underneath each footrest so it'll stay on whenver the jeep is on. Im thinking of a UV bulb, something soothing. Another place is the cupholders. If done right, i think it'll look great. Check out oznium.com for the 3mm/5mm bulbs. I think those will be best

phox 01-14-2012 02:55 PM

yeah I saw your thread about the cupholders, what's your plan there? I mean I understand the general direction, but anything specific you're looking to do?

especially since I can get mine out easier than yours! :p

Burner 01-15-2012 07:36 PM

Are you thinking of putting the light into the cup holders that is on the caliburs etc that blueish color?

lll2for3lll 01-15-2012 07:56 PM

Here is how mine use to look. Got annoying though so I uninstalled it.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...k/5e707db3.jpg

Scottina06 01-15-2012 08:00 PM

I think you have to be subtle with it and not go crazy with LED's under every little nook and cranny. Be careful with colors too

Muddy4DSM 01-15-2012 08:28 PM

I had this in my 540i a few years back (red) and in my last two Infinitis (yellow/gold). From what I understand, the red used in the BMW is actually the same hue that's used in planes/fighter jets because it causes the least amount of eye fatigue. The car had two small openings under the rear view mirror that were fiber optic and showed just enough red light down onto the center console to see something in your hand, but not to the point of distracting. Same with the Infiniti, but the holes were near the front maplights. Same fiber optics though, made the light more directional instead of it washing out over everything and being distracting to the eye.

I would love to find some nice green lights (either fiber optic or soft LED) and do something similar. That would definitely add a touch of class found in higher end automobiles

lll2for3lll 01-15-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 553265)
I think you have to be subtle with it and not go crazy with LED's under every little nook and cranny. Be careful with colors too

This is true. I had to learn the hard way.

phox 01-16-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM (Post 553283)
I had this in my 540i a few years back From what I understand, the red used in the BMW is actually the same hue that's used in planes/fighter jets because it causes the least amount of eye fatigue.

that's exactly what gave me the idea, except it was my dads rover and my friends 330 haha. it was nice to have just a little light while your were driving that isn't instrument panels

phox 01-16-2012 08:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK so I saw my dad tonight and hopped in his LR4 to grab some photos of what I was talking about. Pics are kind of rough, since it's difficult to photograph a soft ambient light in darkness, and I didn't feel like grabbing my tripod.

anyways, you can see the door handles in these photos, and I was considering something similar in my WK, probably in red. I put it to a vote because I couldn't decide on a color, and the girlfriend thought red would stand out as something unique, but it wouldn't be obnoxious.

anyways, any opinions/ideas on the best way to do this. (looking at you davy and 2for3)

lll2for3lll 01-16-2012 08:37 PM

I believe Davey has single LEDs in the doors.

phox 01-16-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 554107)
I believe Davey has single LEDs in the doors.

alright davy, lets see the setup! and then we'll delve into the logistics of your cupholder idea.

besides, I need something to do in between coats of caliper paint. it's too damn cold to sit out there in the garage