Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid gone wrong (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/transmission-fluid-gone-wrong-34065.html)

jeep2008guy 01-14-2012 06:04 PM

Transmission Fluid gone wrong

I made a mistake today when I took my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the oil change place where i decided to have my transmission fluid changed at 95,000 miles. When trying to suck out the transmission fluid they got the tube stuck down the (dipstick hole... sorry I don't know much about cars). They couldn't get it out so they just pulled and pulled until the tube rubber tube broke inside the dipstick hole. The oil change place agreed to pay to get this fixed but should i worry about that plastic tube getting down into the transmission before i get it fixed? Is there a filter down there that might stop the rubber tube from reaching the transmission? To be honest I'm not really sure how it got stuck down there. The tube went in but wouldn't come out. Please help me out. Thanks,

robpp 01-14-2012 06:24 PM

Re: Transmission Fluid gone wrong

i think you should be fine temporarliy. . if they are paying just take iot to the dealer.

did they fill it back up with fluid? if not then dont drive it, tow it to the dealer at their cost./

jeep2008guy 01-14-2012 06:30 PM

They said they took out 1 ct and then put one back in. They first found out there was a problem because only 1 ct came out and it should have been more like 3 or 4 so they tried pushing the hose down further which is when i would go down further or come back out. Thanks for your response.

2005JGC 01-14-2012 08:02 PM

Personally one of my biggest reasons to do a service is to replace the sump filter and filter seal... sucking it out and filling it up is clearly better than nothing but I steer VERY clear from suck and fills, just not my thing, especially considering the places that sell them, I would be VERY interested to see the cost difference between a jiffy lube fluid exchange service in the trans and differentials and compair that to a dealer (that will OBVIOUSLY be more expensive) but whom will replace the trans filter, and remove/clean/ reinstall the covers to get a legit service performed.

Thinking about it now, you likely have the NAG1 trans that is six stupid bolts to drop the pan and a rubber seal... the EASIEST trans ever to do a legit service to... that also explains why they got their hose stuck in it, it seems all the nag dipstick tubes get really small. In the sprinters they are skinny all they way to the top.

Bikemobile 01-14-2012 10:46 PM

Well thats embarrassing. I think at 95k miles i would do filters and fluid.