Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Question about Nav (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/question-about-nav-34090.html)

CaptRB 01-15-2012 06:57 AM

Question about Nav

I'm a bit confused about the Nav system in the Overland we're planning to buy. I've heard a few times that you can't input a destination while driving. Of course that would sort of make the thing useless. On a highway my wife will often add/change a location or address or look for a place to eat. I can't imagine any Nav system being so silly, so can someone straighten me out on this? What exactly are the limitations of this Nav system while driving?

Thanks,

Robert B
NY

sined240 01-15-2012 08:02 AM

Re: Question about Nav

It is very easy and straight forward actually. You can stop at the nearest rest area, parking lot, or gas station and input the destination while parked via the touchscreen OR you can input destination while moving by VOICE, which is easy enough to use.

IndyBob 01-15-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB (Post 552859)
I'm a bit confused about the Nav system in the Overland we're planning to buy. I've heard a few times that you can't input a destination while driving. Of course that would sort of make the thing useless. On a highway my wife will often add/change a location or address or look for a place to eat. I can't imagine any Nav system being so silly, so can someone straighten me out on this? What exactly are the limitations of this Nav system while driving?

Thanks,

Robert B
NY

Yes, the Nav is limited on what you can do once you are underway. These limitations can be overcome by adding a product like LockPick from coastaletech.com which plugs in between your factory radio harness and the radio. Easy install and it also allows you to play and view DVDs while moving.

berk483 01-15-2012 08:41 AM

This is by no means specific to jeep either. Pretty much every built-in GPS unit that comes from the factory has these same limitations.

ColdCase 01-15-2012 08:44 AM

It is a safety thing common with most if not all factory NAV units, a significant distraction for the driver. Like using a cell phone, you should pull over when changing destinations.

You can search for POIs however, like nearby restaurants or gas stations while moving. On the 730N you can use your voice to change destinations (similar to the hands free phone concept that is also becoming under attack by the safety groups), but the 430N does not have NAV voice command so you need to be moving less than 5 mph.

CaptRB 01-15-2012 08:54 AM

FYI...my Mitsu Outlander, Surabu....Job's Lexus & new Hyundai sonata, all with built in Nav allow full input while driving. I've never heard of such a limitation until now. MOST people I know bought NAV for trips. MOST people I know travel with a wife/co pilot and they operate the NAV. I get the DVD safety issue, but the rest is just nonsense!

I will absolutely get the lockpick day 1.

Thanks for the info,

Robert B
NY

ColdCase 01-15-2012 10:19 AM

I wouldn't want to be driving anywhere near you while you were looking at the NAV screen to enter an address.... but that may just be me.

Some vehicles sense a passenger, but the liability implications of being distracted by entering nav destinations (address) while driving is significant, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that lawsuit. I know you may be a responsible adult that would not allow the distraction, but that would be hard to prove in court :). If you are a responsible adult you wouldn't be taking a chance and entering destinations or using text messaging or perhaps taking your hands off the wheel to make phone calls while driving. Statistics seem to indicate a significant safety issue here, that egos seem to make an individual overlook. Just saying.

berk483 01-15-2012 10:19 AM

I know that lexus and it's parent company Toyota lock out some features when driving on their built-in nav units and my gf's 2010 Subaru Tribeca locks out nav use while driving...:thumbsup: More and more manufacturers are moving in this direction for liability reasons, wether we agree with them or not. But as stated above there are ways around it for all makes and models.

berk483 01-15-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 552914)
I wouldn't want to be driving anywhere near you while you were looking at the NAV screen to enter an address.... but that may just be me.

Some vehicles sense a passenger, but the liability implications of being distracted by entering nav destinations (address) while driving is significant, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that lawsuit. I know you may be a responsible adult that would not allow the distraction, but that would be hard to prove in court :). If you are a responsible adult you wouldn't be taking a chance and entering destinations or using text messaging or perhaps taking your hands off the wheel to make phone calls while driving. Statistics seem to indicate a significant safety issue here, that egos seem to make an individual overlook. Just saying.

+1

IndyBob 01-15-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 552914)

Thanks for the lecture. You do what you are comfortable with and I will do the same.

jacobsed 01-15-2012 10:32 AM

Our C Class Mercedes does the same crap. Can't input a new destination while moving. You have to use voice command which I hate.

CaptRB 01-15-2012 10:46 AM

wouldn't want to be driving anywhere near you while you were looking at the NAV screen to enter an address.... but that may just be me.>>>

-sigh.....

Read again. I wrote, quite clearly, that my wife/co-pilot handles the NAV on trips. It's utterly silly to pull over for her to enter an address. They might as well lock out radio tuning as well.
Like I said, lockpick on day one!

Robert B
NY