Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   ** Tip ** Managing brake dust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/tip-managing-brake-dust-34120.html)

VerbalKint 01-15-2012 07:52 PM

** Tip ** Managing brake dust

If anyone needs help managing brake dust, my recommendation is Armor All wheel protectant. I put it on my wife's rims about 2 1/2 weeks ago and her rims look cleaner than mine which only had about a day of use. My rims are black from brake dust, especially the fronts, hers look like they are clean.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel

Fyi - Target sells it for less then the auto stores.

I'll try to post example pictures tonight.

Scottina06 01-15-2012 07:58 PM

Re: ** Tip ** Managing brake dust

I may try this for my wifes lexus' wheels......they are awful after a couple days

Urbantank 01-15-2012 08:45 PM

No doubt about that . I'm trying a similar product and it helps, easier to clean after build up too

transam 01-15-2012 08:59 PM

I have Armour All wheel protectant on mine. I was lucky enough to get some on before the cold weather set in. I think they recommend over 65 degrees for optimal application and drying. I noticed less brake dust adhesion, but not totally eliminated. It also makes them look shiney. Using a small California duster on them between washes is a 5 minute job and wipes away most of the brake dust.

I'm guessing that after awhile the brake dust becomes less drastic after the brakes bed-in more? Anyone else notice this, or is it wishful thinking?

Robert Palmer 01-15-2012 09:06 PM

Wishful thinking. The stock brembo pads dust like a mofo.

But the armor all protectant is very good stuff!

sndrsk 04-29-2013 12:33 AM

I noticed today during my first hand-wash of my WK2 that there is an insane amount of brake dust on the front doors and a TON on the tailgate and behind the rear wheels. Would the Armor All product prevent the brake dust to making it to the body itself or does it only help the wheels?

Lankness 04-29-2013 10:51 AM

I tried out the Mopar Repel product on the wheels. It definitely made it easier to clean the dust off, but I didn't notice a lot of 'reduction' in what stuck. I was going to put another layer on and see if it gets better...if not I'll try out the AA product.

Schleprock 04-29-2013 06:22 PM

I used this about 5 times I think. It worked......but, it gets expensive and tedious. Takes almost a whole can for one application on the big, complex WK2 SRT8 and it did not last very long (less than 2 weeks for me).

Brake dust is still coming off the brakes, it just doesn't stick to the wheels metal because of the reduced chemical bonding component of the solution sprayed on. It should have no effect on body panels, if dust is flying there, it will still stick. I would also advise NOT spraying the stuff on your trucks painted surfaces if that is what you are asking.

thekoy 05-02-2013 07:14 PM

Check out "22ple VM1 Rim and Metal Coating" over at detailedimage.com. I have use both the Metal and Paint coatings on my new '14 SRT. With regard to just the rim coating I have it on my wheels, exhaust tips, and a few places under the hood. I think it really helps and say it will last 24 months (yet to be witnessed).

AnotherSRT 05-23-2013 09:21 AM

wow thanks will try it...

studio1930 05-23-2013 10:06 AM

I also have about $600 worth of products from detailedimage.com to include Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. It works very, very well and keeps the rims slick. The brake dust doesn't stick to the rims hardly at all and wipes off with no effort.

I am not a fan of armor all products as they tend to be greasy and not last very long compared to more commercial products like P21s, Menzerna, Blackfire etc...

CHALLENGERBIZJET 05-23-2013 12:50 PM

Caliper covers are supposed to help with that tremendously and give the car a nicer look.