Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Loud Click When Operating Heat Features (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/loud-click-when-operating-heat-features-34159.html)

Big Green 01-16-2012 01:07 PM

Loud Click When Operating Heat Features

Anyone hear a noticeable 'click' when they turn on the heated seat, or for those with the heated steering wheel? It's one click when the components are switched on, and doesn't repeat when more heated components are switched on. The click is coming from the modules underneath the passenger seat.

aphexafx 01-16-2012 10:43 PM

Re: Loud Click When Operating Heat Features

Relay? It probably controls the main current to any active heating elements. Maybe you got a loud one; can probably be replaced very easily.

nathantw 01-18-2012 07:22 PM

I hear it whenever I switch the stuff on too. I figured it was a relay and nothing to worry about.

AAAA 01-18-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathantw (Post 555517)
I hear it whenever I switch the stuff on too. I figured it was a relay and nothing to worry about.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But it is not normal. Time for a coffee break at your dealer's service waiting room.

Big Green 01-18-2012 11:55 PM

I went to the dealer today, and they agreed that it didn't sound normal. So they pulled in a 2012 overland summit, and sure enough... same noises from the relay. Not a big deal, just expected something a little smoother from a 40k vehicle.

bbjrhome 01-19-2012 05:21 AM

I have what I would consider the same noise. It happens when you turn on one of the heated seats and or the heated steering wheel. If one heated seat is already on and you turn on the 2nd one (doesn't matter what side is first) then you don't hear it a 2nd time. It's a relay clicking on. I've always had this type of noise on my cars that I've had heated seats in. I will say the "click" is more pronounced in the GCO than any other vehicles that I have owned.

berk483 01-19-2012 08:13 AM

Would it maybe seem louder than previous vehicles because of how quiet the cabin is?

Big Green 01-19-2012 08:28 AM

Not quite sure how to answer that... It sure sounds louder than any other vehicle I've been in. It's a pretty audible click, as the inverter is just below the passenger seat.

AAAA 01-19-2012 12:46 PM

OK you guys, listen to me; "IT IS NOT NORMAL." Neither my JGC nor my wife's Volvo XC-70 (still a POS) make a click. You are under warranty.
1/20- The following is something I have not seen written in this forum during my 1 year of membership; "I made a mistake, I was wrong." Sorry.

Jeeters 01-19-2012 05:38 PM

I don't hear anything at all when I turn it on.
I do hear a relay click when I move it from high to low, or turn it off. It's louder when I turn it off but still not all that loud; just noticable.
Never had any other vehicle make any noises in regards to heated seats before, but I've not thought much about this one since I figured it was just a relay.

danielmkraft 01-20-2012 11:16 PM

Have the click in current overland, had same click on 11 limited. Happens with both heated seat/steering wheel, as well as when turning on the power outlet behind the center console. Did this with both trucks.
Didn't seem abnormal.....
Anyone with electrical knowledge care to explain how this sound is abnormal?
I guess I didn't give it two thoughts.....

Eric67 01-21-2012 06:49 AM

Just a relais click. One person hears the click, the other thinks it is LOUD. Completely normal.
You can hear it when turning the heated seat or the heated steering wheel off.
It feels to me that the quest for "problems" is getting out of hand sometimes.
No pun intended! Nothing personal.:) just enjoy your JGC !