Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   wk2 - tire damage do I need to replace all 4 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wk2-tire-damage-do-i-need-to-replace-all-4-a-34172.html)

HEADSHOCK 01-16-2012 03:50 PM

wk2 - tire damage do I need to replace all 4

I have a question about my wk2 overland. I just had a rear tire get damaged where they have to replace it. The car has about 12k miles on it. The tire shop measured the tire tread wear and told me that they need to replace all 4 tires so I will not cause damage to my transfer case since its an AWD car. They also mentioned that they can special order me a tire with the same amount of wear as the one that I cam replacing. How important is this?

ekaz 01-16-2012 03:54 PM

Re: wk2 - tire damage do I need to replace all 4

I heard of having to replace both tires, so both rear tires in your case, but not all 4. That being said, if the front to rear difference is too great, all 4 might have to be replaced.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-16-2012 04:05 PM

you will only need to replace two, not all 4. you shouldnt have that much wear in 12k miles

HEADSHOCK 01-16-2012 04:12 PM

I guess that its enough difference to take a toll on the transfer case. They did say they can shave the new tire for $30 to meet the same tolerance of the older tire. Doesnt seem like a bad option since the other 3 tires are pretty new.

Scottina06 01-16-2012 04:52 PM

what kind of measurements are they giving you for the 3 other tires?

vitk 01-16-2012 05:02 PM

it is usually not necessary unless other tires worn down so much they do not maintain traction. in that case you need to replace them anyways

HEADSHOCK 01-16-2012 05:07 PM

I think the measuremant was 3/50 He said 350.

2005JGC 01-16-2012 07:43 PM

Its easy to say on a forum not to worry about it but tire shops have to err on the side of caution as when you come in with a worn out transfer case and a 3k dollar bill from the dealer that warranty didnt cover because the uneven tire wear, this bill that the customer is expecting the tire shop to pay for not knowing how to do their job the specialize in.

This is a story I pulled out of my buttox, and dont expect to happen I am just explaining the dilemma of the tire shop.

btw none of those measurements make sense unless you REALLY need tires, 3/32nds is going to be your approx wear bar location, so if they measured 3/50ths you need tires all around like 2 months ago ;)

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-16-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 554068)
Its easy to say on a forum not to worry about it but tire shops have to err on the side of caution as when you come in with a worn out transfer case and a 3k dollar bill from the dealer that warranty didnt cover because the uneven tire wear, this bill that the customer is expecting the tire shop to pay for not knowing how to do their job the specialize in.

This is a story I pulled out of my buttox, and dont expect to happen I am just explaining the dilemma of the tire shop.

the tire shop would also love to sell him two extra tires

josh3008 01-17-2012 06:30 AM

Since neither diff is limited slip I can't see the problem. If it was then I would have to say no

peckmv 01-17-2012 11:11 AM

With 12k miles you have used about 20 to 25% of the tread. I have changed just one tire before with this level of use and have had no problems. The small amount of difference is a non issue. Just buy one tire.:cool:

2005JGC 01-17-2012 01:01 PM

I know on my 05 I had approx 1 year on my toyo open countrys (got the rig with them, not sure exactly when they were purchased but they were pretty close to new). One tire was slashed and replaced for free, thank you Les Schwab, i didn't even buy them. and after that I started getting intermittent traction control events while turning... Never happened when I put my moabs and bfg's on (brand new all around).

When I sold those wheels and tires I think I measured like 12-13/32nds tread depth on the used ones and iirc 15/32nds on the new