Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Grinding Noise- 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/grinding-noise-2007-jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-34184.html)

Nolan2202 01-16-2012 06:37 PM

Grinding Noise- 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Hey there everyone. Newbie member here but I have a problem. I have done a lot of research on this site and several others but have not been able to figure it out.

I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee with 73k miles. Just recently had a Jeep factory tow package installed at my local dealership. Ever since the install (not necessarily related or the cause, I know) my Jeep has been making a grinding sound. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side and only when in gear and moving. It is a faint grinding sound. It worsens when I go over a bump and the suspension compresses/ decompresses. While it was at the dealer, they told me I had a transfer case leak and my power steering pump needed to be replaced. I have no idea how they got the power steering pump issue- I have never had any issues with it. That lead me to believe, initially, that the transfer case (something internal) could be the issue. I took it to a local shop, they serviced the transfer case and replaced the transmission fluid. Noise is obviously still there. Everything I have read has said anything from worn wheel bearing, needle bearing, transfer case snap ring, drive shaft U joints, etc. I can't take it back to the dealer or the shop and just say "I don't know what it is, but fix it" as I know this will lead to $4000 down the drain and the grinding sound continuing. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

Nolan2202 01-16-2012 06:38 PM

Re: Grinding Noise- 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Also seems to worsen or be more prevalent at slow speeds as well as turning right.

Nolan2202 01-16-2012 06:39 PM

And I first noticed it while taking a load of crap to my storage unit...approx 500 Lb. load in the back.

Another interesting tidbit---The RPM's stay at whatever they were at in gear when I shift to neutral. Ex: I am driving 30 miles per hour at 2,000 RPMs- shift to neutral- RPMs stay at 2000.

ThR1LLr 06-03-2012 09:29 PM

have the same issue if u find out let me know.

Galaxie500 06-05-2012 12:00 AM

"While it was at the dealer, they told me I had a transfer case leak and my power steering pump needed to be replaced."

Have you checked into the PS pump? How thick are your front disk pads, 73K is a lot to be on the original pad.