Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Liberty-KJ and KK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/)
-   -   2002 Liberty Limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/2002-liberty-limited-34190.html)

Scorask 01-16-2012 09:06 PM

2002 Liberty Limited

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone, I just bought a 2002 Liberty Limited, 95K, 3.7L, 6cyl. Its really clean inside and out. Carfax was clean and it was serviced consistently throughout 2 owners, recalls included.

I had a tranny pan leak that was fixed, while doing so the tranny was flushed, new filter and fluid installed. I was thinking about changing the spark plugs and distributor cap, as well as changing any belts necessary. And I get a funny sound when going over speed bumps and certain bumps, I've read its either the sway bar and/or bushings.

Could anyone recommend any other maintenance i should have performed, or at least put on the list? I would like to put another 100k on it at the very least, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2005JGC 01-26-2012 03:30 PM

Re: 2002 Liberty Limited

Sweet new ride!

Welcome to the forum!

I would check your spark plugs (pull one out) they are just a copper core and should be replaced every 30k miles, due to mileage if they appear worn now would be the time.

front and rear differentials serviced

transfer case serviced

Check your coolant, if it looks old/contaminated I would suggest a drain and fill

On the libertys there are known ball joint issues, I don't know all the details off hand but there is a recall that has likely been performed considering the dealer history with the vehicle. None the less I have replaced worn and broken ones that have been replaced once already, most techs I work around swear that at least the first time around they replaced them with the same original part, clearly they don't know the metallurgy and material changes by looking at it but they all say it was the same ones.

Make sure to use ONLY top tier fuel (google or wiki top tier fuel if you don't know what this is), the 3.7 and it seems more so in the libertys than in the grands, they carbon coat the valves and cause misfires, if your LUCKY once this has begun a proper carbon clean might help, but more often than not once the misfires start the only repair is pulling the heads and replacing valves. At the end of the day if you fill up once a week your talking MAYBE 1.50 difference between the ass gas on the corner and chevron (per fill) MAYBE 2 bucks to be fair, so we are talking 104 bucks a YEAR to prevent major engine tear down.

jlewissystem 01-26-2012 03:43 PM

If there's no record of the diff's being done - id do those too. Check brake lines and fluid, pads, rotors. Might want to glance over the power steering system - for hose leaks. :thumbsup:

Scorask 01-27-2012 03:34 PM

Thanks guys, its very much appreciated. Brakes are good, they installed new pads and spun the rotors when I bought it. Im going to start with the sparkplugs and continue the other suggestions you both mentioned. There was record of a recall/ball joint replacement service on the Carfax report I got. And I had no idea about the gas, with the top tier fuel, would it be beneficial to use higher octane too? Or is top tier the same no matter what octane? Thanks again guys.

2005JGC 01-30-2012 02:43 AM

No just run regular unleaded fuel, you wont see any benefit to higher octane on a Chrysler product... I have seen a VERY informal test performed on a family of Honda's each vehicle got about 2-3mpg more when they ran supreme fuel. I dont have all of the raw data gathered (it was a student I went to school with) but even with the 24-36 mile per tank difference they were getting they still didn't believe it was beneficial and went back to regular unleaded as soon as he collected all his data (not to mention they made him pay for the additional cost of the fuel even though the extra day or 2 they drove MORE than paid for it). ha ha... crazy people.

None the less, as I stated, a Chrysler will NOT do this, it wont take into account a higher octane fuel and adjust timing accordingly, it just is satisfied not knocking, so save that money just make sure your not filling up with crappy gas.

Scorask 01-30-2012 06:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I found a couple Top Tier Stations around me so I will definitley fill up there. Is there anything I can do to improve MPG? I did fill up with 93 Octane on the last fill up and the MPG Avg. seems to have gone up by 1 mile or so, which isn't much, lol.

Jeeters 02-09-2012 08:09 PM

I just traded in a 2003 Liberty Limited back in November. Best vehicle I ever owned. 135K miles.

Check the rubber boots on each end of the front drive shaft. Especially the end that goes into the transfer case. (The end pointing to the rear.) The rubber boot covering the CV joint on that end is prone to rotting out. Once I discovered I'd lost my boot and googled the issue, I learned that the problem is *extremely* common on the Liberties and it's basically a design flaw.

Water pump also tends to leak. I went through two. Very common problem; there's even a youtube video of how to change it out on the Liberty.

I'd definitely recommend getting the rear differential fluid changed out every 20K or so. If you don't, you may feel the rear buck a bit. Dealer will do it for around $65 which I thought was worth it even though it can be a DIY job. If yours has the limited slip differential, then you have to pour a little 4 ounce bottle or so of mopar "friction modifier" into the differential along with the rest of the differential fluid. Don't expect the dealer to remember to add that unless you remind them to. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the sound going over speed bumps is very likely front sway bar bushings. Mine made noise from the day I bought it, but only in the winter when it was really cold out. Never bothered to get it fixed.

Scorask 02-14-2012 03:14 PM

Thanks Jeeters, good info. to know.

Seamus4225 01-23-2013 05:07 AM

I had the same noise with my 2002 Liberty and it turned out to be the ball joints.

Seamus4225 01-23-2013 05:11 AM

I actually now have an issue that when driving my car first thing the next day (normally reversing) within a full rotation of my front left wheel I get a clunk noise. I have tightened everything and even replaced the brake pads, the rotors also done. Occasionally I get a similar noise just taking off forward and with a slight turn involved. Any ideas from past experience?

Frango100 01-23-2013 07:23 AM

Did you check the track bar for worn bushings?

Seamus4225 01-29-2013 07:15 AM

No i have not. Cant recall a track bar on my liberty will definately check though. Thanks.