Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Cutting rear bumper for hitch? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/cutting-rear-bumper-for-hitch-34213.html)

oljustice 01-17-2012 11:41 AM

Cutting rear bumper for hitch?

I've got a sweet deal on a **painted** OEM rear bumper for my 05 WK that I would like to purchase to replace my cracked/damaged rear bumper. The problem is my WK comes with a hitch and the one I want to purchase doesn't.

I would save hundreds if I purchase this painted one and just cut out the hitch cutout myself. Has anyone done this? How hard would it be and would it ruin the paint on the new bumper? What are the best tools for the job and where would I purchase that rubber/plastic looking frame piece for the cutout (my current one is damaged as well)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kmitch80 01-17-2012 12:24 PM

Re: Cutting rear bumper for hitch?

use a dremel, or rotozip for the cleanest look. tape off the area around where you plan to cut.

oljustice 01-17-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmitch80 (Post 554489)
use a dremel, or rotozip for the cleanest look. tape off the area around where you plan to cut.

Awesome. I have a rotary dremel that I may be able to use for this. I just have to find the right bit. I've read somewhere that non-hitch WK rear bumpers actually have some sort of marking on the inside for a hitch cut-out, anyone know if that's true?

Also, where would I get the OEM hitch 'border'? Is it sold separately?

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-17-2012 01:50 PM

can you use the border on your current bumper? i remember seeing them for sale on ebay once, so it is most likely available from a dealer

BlackedOutWK 01-18-2012 09:20 PM

i did mine a few years ago. it was pretty simple. there is a pattern on the back of the bumper, its very tiny lines so kind of tough to see but if you take your time you'll be fine. the only thing to be careful of is when you cut/drill the holes where the bezel/trim piece pops in. if i remember right, some are slits for it to snap in and others are holes for screws. just look at the trim piece first and it should make more sense.

lll2for3lll 01-18-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljustice (Post 554511)
Awesome. I have a rotary dremel that I may be able to use for this. I just have to find the right bit. I've read somewhere that non-hitch WK rear bumpers actually have some sort of marking on the inside for a hitch cut-out, anyone know if that's true?

Also, where would I get the OEM hitch 'border'? Is it sold separately?

Lee Parts have the hitch bezel.

I've been thinking about doing this myself but I'm afraid I might jack up the bumper.

Scottina06 01-19-2012 04:14 AM

If you remove the rear.bumper....there is a template on the back side for easy cutting

sent from my HTC EVO

Geevis 01-19-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljustice (Post 554457)
I've got a sweet deal on a **painted** OEM rear bumper for my 05 WK that I would like to purchase to replace my cracked/damaged rear bumper. The problem is my WK comes with a hitch and the one I want to purchase doesn't.

I would save hundreds if I purchase this painted one and just cut out the hitch cutout myself. Has anyone done this? How hard would it be and would it ruin the paint on the new bumper? What are the best tools for the job and where would I purchase that rubber/plastic looking frame piece for the cutout (my current one is damaged as well)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Where did you end up ordering your bumper from? I need to replace the rear bumper on my 06, and would prefer to buy one painted instead of just primed.

NHWK05 01-19-2012 08:30 AM

Here is the bezel needed for the hitch and bumper.

http://www.leeparts.com/jeep_grand_c...ion_bezel.html

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-19-2012 01:51 PM

i cut my front airdam to add the chrome trim. the pattern was already on the back. it was simple to do with a dremel. i would use a cutting wheel for the opening and a dremel for the trim holes

oljustice 01-19-2012 03:26 PM

Thx for the links guys. Ordering the bezel now. We'll see how it goes! I have a rotary dremel but no handsaw. I guess I'll have to figure another tool to cut it with.

BlackedOutWK 01-21-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljustice (Post 556093)
Thx for the links guys. Ordering the bezel now. We'll see how it goes! I have a rotary dremel but no handsaw. I guess I'll have to figure another tool to cut it with.

all you need is a dremel...that's all i used...