Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Catch Can on a 4.7L? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/catch-can-on-a-4-7l-34225.html)

NHWK05 01-17-2012 03:59 PM

Catch Can on a 4.7L?

Is There a kit or has anyone made one to work on it? I'm noticing a lot of oily crud in the TB and the intake. My jeep has 104K miles on it.

And advise is appreciated.

FlyinRyan 01-17-2012 04:16 PM

Re: Catch Can on a 4.7L?

Its a good idea, I should have put one on mine when I had it.

JonJon 01-17-2012 10:02 PM

Would it install the same way as the 5.7? Might be a dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

paroxysym 01-18-2012 08:46 AM

and who makes one for a 4.7?

NHWK05 01-18-2012 08:47 AM

I dont think anyone makes one for the 4.7L I would get a 5.7L CC and modify the mount to work on mine. But i dont know what hoses to use on a 4.7L.

So do you think a catch can would be a good fix for the black oily gunk that came off the TB not only inside the TB but where that round black thing presses in to the TB?

FlyinRyan 01-19-2012 04:37 PM

Guys, it's a flippin' aluminum can on a bracket with some hoses attached to it. It's nothing fancy. :lol:

What round black thing are you talking about? If you route the PCV hoses to the can all the crap that ends up sitting in the intake manifold (if you were ever to snake a camera down there you'd be amazed how much crap collects there), would end up in the can instead.

JonJon 01-19-2012 04:42 PM

Well now that you say it that way, I'll be modifying my soda can when I'm done drinking it. Easy! 😝 lol

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

NHWK05 01-19-2012 04:45 PM

I'm talking about the part that's pressed in to the TB next to the TPS sensor. Its held in with 1 screw. I don't know what it is called. I also don't know where to mount the CC. Is the pcv hose the one that's on the TB or the one that connects to the intake plenum? What is the best physical location for it. Closer to the TB? Where will it pick up the most crud.

FlyinRyan 01-19-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 556144)
I'm talking about the part that's pressed in to the TB next to the TPS sensor. Its held in with 1 screw. I don't know what it is called. I also don't know where to mount the CC. Is the pcv hose the one that's on the TB or the one that connects to the intake plenum? What is the best physical location for it. Closer to the TB? Where will it pick up the most crud.

That's the IAC. Completely unrelated.

The hose on the TB is a vacuum hose.

As I recall it, There is a hose that goes from the very back of the intake manifold to the oil fill. The catch can would go in between the oil fill and that port for the intake manifold.

NHWK05 01-19-2012 05:04 PM

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. So why would the IAC be all gunked up and oily?

FlyinRyan 01-19-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 556159)
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. So why would the IAC be all gunked up and oily?

Because it sucks up stuff from the crank case breather tube from your intake tube.

robpp 01-19-2012 05:30 PM

the can goes on the PVC valve lines. it keeps the intake manifold clean and free of oil which robs performance.

unless you are heading to the track kyle it isnt going to do anything for your 4.7/

and to add it now with what, over a 100K, its TOO LATE BRO. unless you clean everytrhing and start over. so remove that intake mani and clean the goo out of it/

or find something better to spend your money on/

it isnt going to keep your TB clean.........you'll need to clean the air better.