Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   New SRT8 Paint Problems- any suggestions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/new-srt8-paint-problems-any-suggestions-34235.html)

HD Guy 01-17-2012 06:13 PM

New SRT8 Paint Problems- any suggestions?

I went to my dealer to pick up my new 2012 silver GCSRT8 today that was on order since the end of August. The car had three blotches in the paint about the the size of my open hand in three separate areas. The vehicle was indoors in a dark garage. I am sure the uneven finish will be even more apparent in the sunlight

The blotches were under the clear coat and I was told the prep guys could not remove them. I told the dealer I would not accept delivery of the vehicle with bad paint.

I was pretty disappointed in Jeep QA as IMHO the vehicle should have not been released for delivery with these obvious paint defects. The dealer is waiting for a response from Jeep. I called Jeep CS to establish a case number.

Can anyone chime in with any idea on a fix, timeline I should expect and the best course of action? I won't accept this one as-is with such obvious multiple paint defects, however I want my GCSRT8, just not one with a bad paint job.

robpp 01-17-2012 06:18 PM

Re: New SRT8 Paint Problems- any suggestions?

i would NEVER accept that. they will tkae it local and respray it......it will NEVER be as good as a factory job.

tell them to get you another one.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-17-2012 08:10 PM

^2 dont accept that jeep! the respray will never be as good as factory. have them order a replacement, unless of course they will have it repainted and knock a few $k off the price

mr.jason 01-17-2012 08:14 PM

Which color was your paint?

Schleprock 01-17-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 554703)
tell them to get you another one.

and they'll tell you "have a nice day".

Keyser 01-17-2012 10:14 PM

I had the very same problem on my 2010 srt-8, Don't accept the vehicule this problem is well documented at Chrysler. The actual issue is like you described it's in between the clear and the paint. I think it's the rubber suction cups that they use to move panels around in the factory those white blotches are going to get more evident with time.Mine was black and upon delivery nothing was apparent it only showed up a few weeks later, if you end up keeping it, don't use a lamp to warm up the clear to try and buff it out cause that will only speed up the process where the whiteness comes out.

P-Dawger 01-18-2012 09:24 AM

Have them sit the vehicle in the sun. It will go away. Don't touch it buff it or anything else. Leave it alone. Have them sit it in the sun for a few days and it should fade away - a little each day.

BOYCHIKS 01-18-2012 02:49 PM

Dang, all that wait to see that... Sorry to hear that.

Like mentioned, they will respray it and it will not look that good. Pass it on unless it will fade away in the sun, which it might if it hasn't seen much time outside

HD Guy 01-18-2012 06:59 PM

Jeep rep is looking at the car now. I was told a case manager would call me and tell me the verdict. Car was sitting at Jeep factory for over 2 weeks (as I recall) before shipping so I figure the silver paint got some sun exposure.

Shaggy1 01-18-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 554944)
Mine was black and upon delivery nothing was apparent it only showed up a few weeks later

My silver 2012 had a quarter size blotch show up after 2 months of ownership. I pointed it out to my dealer who offered to repaint the fender. I am holding off because I'm afraid that the cure may be worse than the problem.

HD Guy 01-19-2012 10:57 AM

Jeep ordered the affected door, rear quarter panel and front fender repainted. It is currently at the shop. I don't know if they are going to do the affected section or the entire panels.

I will inspect after repair. If I can see it , I will reject the vehicle and move on. If I can't see any signs of repair I am leaning towards acceptance. Any thoughts?

Robert Palmer 01-19-2012 10:58 AM

I would ask for some money off the price.