Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Starting my build (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/starting-my-build-34251.html)

Mhchockey84 01-17-2012 09:57 PM

Starting my build

New to the site. Going to be picking up my wk soon 2007 silver V6 with 47,xxx. Has leather seats, premium sound, moon roof.

My mod wish list...
Tinted driver/passenger windows 20% ( that's what I heard matches the rear)
Tinted tail lights/ 3rd brake light. I'm considering getting them tinted with the film or professionally painted
Black out or remove badges
Paint inner front lights
The jeep currently has chrome hub caps over the stock wheel ( hubcaps look like the limited 05 06 limited wheels ) I think I want to paint the hubcaps black just Incase I don't like them it's not a big deal.

Please feel free to give suggestions and point me in a good direction for my mods

Thanks Bobby

JonJon 01-17-2012 10:08 PM

Are you planning to lift or lower it?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Mhchockey84 01-17-2012 10:16 PM

Re: Starting my build

Not at this time (not in budget)

lll2for3lll 01-17-2012 10:21 PM

Visit V-LEDS.com

uglycar 01-17-2012 11:45 PM

I found it very easy to pick up a can of vht nite shades and tint the tails yourself. One coat is plenty, just clean them first, paint them, and use some nu finish the next day to get the shine back. Simple

To remove emblems, heat them with a hair dryer until the tape is warm...not hot....peel off with an old credit card or fishing line.

Use a pinstripe wheel (round eraser that hooks to your drill) to remove sticky remains...

This takes a 2 hour job 20 minutes....

All emblems can be removed, including trail rated

Mhchockey84 01-18-2012 12:34 PM

How bout plasti dip

How well does it hold up?
How hard is it to apply to the badges
How hard for the rims

J-rod 01-19-2012 03:11 AM

You will love plasti dip. I did mine and it looks amazing. Did the whole wheel but left the lug nuts and it looks great. So far mine are holding up perfectly. Make sure you put on 2-3 coats. My wheels did not look good because they had scratches and were pitting. Cant even tell now that they are dipped and its completely reverseable if you dont like it. If you want to plasti dip the emblems just mask section around them, paint them, then if you pull the plasti dip off around the emblems you wont have to mask off the letters individually.

Mhchockey84 01-19-2012 12:24 PM

Jeep is coming with some chrome plastic hubcaps will the plasti dip work on that?

J-rod 01-19-2012 03:43 PM

Yep just clean them up really well first.

dmsfun 01-22-2012 12:00 PM

I dont undestand the reasoning for tintng tailights, which is a safety downgrade, nor will your insurance company. When you get rear ended in inclement weather dont be surprised when the accident coverage is denied, since you darkened your brake lights. If you get a lawsuit filed for hospital bills, if anybody gets injured, this will ruin you financially, for life.