Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   drop-in filter vs intake? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/drop-in-filter-vs-intake-34284.html)

paroxysym 01-18-2012 01:24 PM

drop-in filter vs intake?

so i run a fastman TB, a magnaflow exhaust and the SCT. ive been looking around at intakes and was wondering if running a free flowing or "performance" drop in filter would benefit me as much as an intake? i was looking on wkjeeps.com and theres a PN for a performance filter for the stock airbox. i also know that companies like AFE, K&N, etc. make drop-in filters for the stock airbox that increase airflow while maintaining the stock system.

just wondering if i could benefit from a drop-in as opposed to a intake? is the difference THAT significant? thanks for the help

JRsmoothee 01-18-2012 01:41 PM

Re: drop-in filter vs intake?

you mean a ram air/cold air vs. stock aftermarket replacement filter.....:D i've had many ram air setups in previous vehicles and didnt see any significant gains, so this time in the wk i just got a AFE replacement filter for the stock airbox (but i also dont plan on doing any engine/performance mods)

Redpit 01-18-2012 09:20 PM

You might get a little more out of an intake. Will it be a perceptible difference, probably not. Will there be an audible difference, definately. So I'd say it's all preference. Personally I like the throaty sound of an intake, but to each their own.

Redpit 01-18-2012 09:24 PM

On second look with your mods, an intake couldn't hurt. Might as well finish what you started with your breather type of mods. Just one smucks opinion.

lll2for3lll 01-18-2012 09:29 PM

Drop-in for offroader......intake for street. Which are you......?

zero_psi 01-19-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 555592)
Drop-in for offroader......intake for street. Which are you......?

he could always do a k&n filter Plus just the intake scliencer delete. and call it a day most people when say off road means "yeah i drive on dirt roads" :lol:

If u plan on going threw any water over 4 inches at a speed greater then 20mph DO NOT DO INTAKE........:slapfight:

NHWK05 01-19-2012 12:03 PM

I made a custom intake using the stock air box, K&N drop in filter and K&N 63 series intake plenum. I removed the shield on the intake thats behind the grille and modified the K&N plenum to replace the accordion style intake plenum and box. I think mine is a better setup then the full CAI kits because it truly draws in cold air where as a cone filter even with the shield still brings in a large amount of heat. I might even heat wrap the plenum and box one day.

It has since been painted black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0711-00121.jpg

paroxysym 01-19-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 555913)
I made a custom intake using the stock air box, K&N drop in filter and K&N 63 series intake plenum. I removed the shield on the intake thats behind the grille and modified the K&N plenum to replace the accordion style intake plenum and box. I think mine is a better setup then the full CAI kits because it truly draws in cold air where as a cone filter even with the shield still brings in a large amount of heat. I might even heat wrap the plenum and box one day.

It has since been painted black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0711-00121.jpg

kyle, did you see a mpg increase or anything in the "butt-dyno"? how often do you service it?

NHWK05 01-19-2012 01:31 PM

I service it ever 3 to 4 oil changes and I change my oil every 6k so ever 24k miles give or take a few. I check it regularily and if its dirty sooner I clean it, if its got dead bugs or big junk in it I gently shake it out.

I deff noticed a snappier throttle response after putting the filter on a stock intake and even more so after doing my plenum. That made the biggest difference.

So yes it passed the butt dyno. Also I highly recommend a flyin ryan bored TB.

paroxysym 01-19-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 555987)
I service it ever 3 to 4 oil changes and I change my oil every 6k so ever 24k miles give or take a few. I check it regularily and if its dirty sooner I clean it, if its got dead bugs or big junk in it I gently shake it out.

I deff noticed a snappier throttle response after putting the filter on a stock intake and even more so after doing my plenum. That made the biggest difference.

So yes it passed the butt dyno. Also I highly recommend a flyin ryan bored TB.

already got a fastman buddy lol. ill have to look into this.. i am looking at getting a k&n or a amsoil.