Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f80/)
-   -   Any recommendations for rotors that don't rust? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f80/any-recommendations-for-rotors-that-dont-rust-34288.html)

Chrissrt10 01-18-2012 03:22 PM

Any recommendations for rotors that don't rust?

It pisses me off because everytime I wash my car by the time I can get to wiping the rims down there is rust all over the rotors. When I go to drive it then the rust stains the rims. Is there a brand that don't do that?

Scottina06 01-18-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Any recommendations for rotors that don't rust?

I have the R1 rotors and I have never seen rust on them

Montag84 01-18-2012 08:36 PM

I have R1 Concepts stock replacement rotors that were zinc coated for my SRT8. Have had them on since early October and through rain, snow, and salt. still no rust whatsoever. Hit up Steven, he'll help ya out.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-19-2012 03:24 PM

i have some no name brand of rotors off ebay that were coated and they dont rust at all.

soontobesrt 01-22-2012 01:36 PM

Rust is normal on the rotors when they get wet. Its not big deal, one stop and it comes right off, thats just what happens with raw steel when its wet. If you're talking about the hats then thats different story. R1 and others have coatings to prevent that so look into them.

99formulam6 01-22-2012 03:15 PM

The rotor surface will rust, no matter what rotor it is. The coatings that are put on the rotors are for the hats, not the rotor surface. One press of the brake pedal will remove any coating that was put on the rotor surface. I have a garage, so my rotors generally don't get the surface rust, but even if they do, once you go for a drive, it will come right off.

Montag84 01-22-2012 08:59 PM

With the R1 Concepts rotors I have yet to get even surface rust in 4 months and I have no garage so it is outside 24/7.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-22-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99formulam6 (Post 558214)
The rotor surface will rust, no matter what rotor it is. The coatings that are put on the rotors are for the hats, not the rotor surface. One press of the brake pedal will remove any coating that was put on the rotor surface. I have a garage, so my rotors generally don't get the surface rust, but even if they do, once you go for a drive, it will come right off.

i dont have surface rust

99formulam6 01-23-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 558484)
i dont have surface rust

There isn't anything special about your rotor that keeps the surface from rusting. 99% of Rotors are made out of steel. Steel rusts. It is as simple as that. There are a lot of factors that will come in to play when determining if a rotor will have surface rust or not.

The bottom line is, it is normal, and doesn't hurt anything. Any steel rotor will have surface rust at one point or another.

THEIFNDNIGHT 08-17-2012 11:38 AM

R1 "PREMIUM" ROTORS WITH STOP TECH PADS.
Best setup ever for Jeep SRT-8