Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   What's the best performance exhaust choice? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/whats-the-best-performance-exhaust-choice-34303.html)

Overspin 01-18-2012 09:33 PM

What's the best performance exhaust choice?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, and looking for some advice. My '04 WJ 4.7L is coming up on a muffler replacement. I want to go with a performance cat-back in stainless, and am wondering which has the better sound....Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster? Whatd'ya think?

Amelie 01-19-2012 02:41 AM

Re: What's the best performance exhaust choice?

First of all welcome to the site. Second, I've heard both Magnaflow and Flowmaster and they sound great. I've never heard a Borla on a WJ.

StoneCold 01-19-2012 06:12 AM

Here's my 18" Magnaflow;

JeepFreak12 01-19-2012 06:22 AM

I have the flowmaster super 44 and it sounds awsome. I had a magnaflow on it before and i thought it was too quite.

Amelie 01-19-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 555795)
I have the flowmaster super 44 and it sounds awsome. I had a magnaflow on it before and i thought it was too quite.

I looked up some videos on YouTube and the 44 sounds pretty awesome. How much does an average one cost?

JeepFreak12 01-19-2012 08:42 AM

I think i paid $90 dollars for the muffler, then $100 dollars for installation. I get alot of compliments on my exhaust. I also took off the main cat.

Amelie 01-19-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 555822)
I think i paid $90 dollars for the muffler, then $100 dollars for installation. I get alot of compliments on my exhaust. I also took off the main cat.

Nice

TJXJWJ 01-19-2012 01:26 PM

It's all subjective...what one person likes isn't what another will like...but for the sake of arguement, I love my stainless Magnaflow on my 4.7. I got the biggest one I could fit under there. It's quiet around town, but when I put the hammer down, it lets you know it's there. To me it sounds like a factory performance exhaust, which is the sound I was going for. No drone either.

Overspin 01-19-2012 04:10 PM

Thanks everyone. StoneCold, thanks for posting a video....sounds about right to me. And TJXJWJ, I like your comment that there is no drone from the Mangaflow.

4.7beast, how is the Super 44 for freeway drone?

R.G. there are some U-tubes with Borlas. Sound a bit raspy, but it might be the sound on the cams that's weak. My son has Borlas on his Mustang, and they sound wicked!

Amelie 01-19-2012 04:13 PM

@Overspin: If you're going for loudness and a nice sound I believe the Super 10 is superior to the Super 44.

FlyinRyan 01-19-2012 04:18 PM

I ran a 4x14" bullet style Magnaflow for a while before I sold my truck. It had a great sound, but would be too much for most people.

Overspin 01-19-2012 04:29 PM

The sound I'm looking for is deep, not too loud. From what I've read here, seems like the biggest possible Magnaflow with packing is the way to go. Thanks all for your comments, and R.G. thank you for starting the other thread....great poll, and very helpful.