Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   What is your favorite Muffler/Exhaust Manufacturer? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/what-is-your-favorite-muffler-exhaust-manufacturer-34322.html)

Amelie 01-19-2012 07:03 AM

What is your favorite Muffler/Exhaust Manufacturer?

^^^

02GrandHO 01-19-2012 08:54 AM

Re: What is your favorite Muffler/Exhaust Manufacturer?

That's a tough call for me. I like the quality of the Borla system on my Zj and the sound is good without being too loud and anoying the neighbors. On the other hand, I love the Flowmasters 50 deltaflows on my Cadillac. That thing just growls when you start her up. I mean people actually turn and look in a parking lot to see what beast just awakened. :thumbsup: She can be a bit loud when your going through the drivethrough, but it is worth it because it sounds like a bat out of hell when you get on it.:D Honestly, in my opinion, the cadillac sounds the best without mufflers. Sort of like a stock car. :lol: The local cops wouldn't like that much though.:D I'd love to hear from some guy who have magnaflow on their Jeep. I'm torn between magnaflow and Flowmaster for the WJ. Just how loud is magnaflow compared to flowmaster? I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow simply because it is stainless and I put my Jeep through hell all the time and I don't want to be replacing again right away. I'm open to anything though. I've heard good things about Kolak, but what does he use for mufflers? Has anyone done a side exit on a WJ?

shan8399 01-19-2012 09:26 AM

side exit has been done - search youtube for wj jeep srt8 wheels - he has powersticks with side exit i think.

good poll - i am interested to hear responses - i like the flowmaster sound but it can be kinda empty/tinny. it also has more drone than others.

i would love to hear more from magnaflow/borla/dynomax owners, i have been interested in this lately - right now i am 99% sure this is what i am going to go with -

Dynomax Super Turbo ( internals are an improvement over stock but still have packing so no baffled tin sound, and couple that with a high flow cat to ensure a little more flow/deeper sound)

Amelie 01-19-2012 09:27 AM

What is the loudest series of Flowmaster? I've read that Super 44 is louder than 50 and that 10 is louder than 44 lol.

marcjac 01-19-2012 12:22 PM

I've seen a few Youtube vids of both the Super 44 and 10 on a WJ 4.7. Super 44 is pretty loud (just ordered one myself to be installed next week). Super 10 seems to be a bit louder and more "raw", almost like straight pipe. I'm also having a Magnaflow hi-flow cat installed which should amp up the volume a tad more. I've used the FM50 in previous Grand Cherokees and it ain't quiet either lol. But you're right that the lower the # the louder the sound. I believe anything that says "delta flow" is meant to have less interior noise, but I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time).

-Marc

Amelie 01-19-2012 12:26 PM

@Marcjac: Sounds good! Good luck with your install and if you can take any pictures or video that would be sweet.

TJXJWJ 01-19-2012 01:15 PM

Magnaflow. Borla is a close 2nd. Flows are last place for me. I automatically throw out anything that isn't available in stainless steel.
I had Borlas on all my I6's and loved them. I took a leap to Magnaflow with the 4.7 and love it too. Great quality on both.

Amelie 01-19-2012 01:23 PM

@TJXJWJ: What about loud factor? Any particular one stand out?

TJXJWJ 01-19-2012 01:37 PM

If you want quiet, go with a physically larger muffler. If you want louder, go with a smaller one. That's GENERALLY the rule and what I've seen to be the case over many years of swapping factory mufflers for aftermarket ones. There are certain lines that are intended for the strip and are loud as hell though. I'm pretty sure all the manufactures have "racing" lines of mufflers.

Amelie 01-19-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 555992)
If you want quiet, go with a physically larger muffler. If you want louder, go with a smaller one. That's GENERALLY the rule and what I've seen to be the case over many years of swapping factory mufflers for aftermarket ones. There are certain lines that are intended for the strip and are loud as hell though. I'm pretty sure all the manufactures have "racing" lines of mufflers.

Sounds good, What line of Magnaflow are you running on your WJ now?

TJXJWJ 01-19-2012 01:53 PM

This one to be exact...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12586/

Amelie 01-19-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 556008)

I tried looking up one for my 2001 but they act like they don't support the Jeep brand lol.