Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Detailing Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/detailing-question-34330.html)

rustyosaurus 01-19-2012 12:22 PM

Detailing Question

Hi there. I am going to get my new JGC detailed. This is something I plan to do on my own, but not when it's 30 degrees outside. Seems like a good idea to have this done initially and before the ugliness of winter sets in.

I've looked around the city where I live and really only able to find this one detailer who seems to use clay bar. Perhaps there are others that I don't know about. His price seems a little high. He wants to charge me $285 for the following:

Exterior Detail ($165):
-Hand wash with microfiber
-Bug and tar removal
-Hand dry with microfiber
-Emblem, channel and crevice detailing
-Compressed air drying in all cracks and crevices
-Wheel, wheel well and door jam cleaning
-Tire and wheel well dressing
-Windows on the inside and out
-Exhaust tip

Winter Prep ($120)
Three stage wax
-Clay bar to remove all impurities from paint, glass and chrome pores
-Pre wax to remove all existing waxes and coatings, and to prepare the paint for bonding with the wax
-1 coat of 6 month synthetic wax on the entire vehicle (including windows and rims)
-an additional three coats of synthetic wax on the bottom half of the vehicle (including rims)

AAAA 01-19-2012 12:29 PM

Re: Detailing Question

In my part of the country "detailing" includes the inside of the vehicle in detail. Also I am not familiar with waxing the windows. I'll give it up to my ignorance of the newest and latest rather than my initial reaction of it being like rotating the license plates or changing the washer fluid.

rustyosaurus 01-19-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 555935)
In my part of the country "detailing" includes the inside of the vehicle in detail. Also I am not familiar with waxing the windows. I'll give it up to my ignorance of the newest and latest rather than my initial reaction of it being like rotating the license plates or changing the washer fluid.

i think they have a package that includes the interior as well but i told him i only needed the exterior. i figure the interior should look pretty good on a new car.

Chas 01-19-2012 12:32 PM

What city are you in?

You could get a one step paint correction done for that price. I am not a professional detailer by ANY means but I am active on a few detailing forums and I do a lot of side detailing work myself and I would be VERY cautious when it comes to detailers, a lot of them are all about volume production and do either shotty work work or just may not do all the things they list. I don't want to say thats the case with this guy because he might be very good at what he does, and I don't want to make claims about a business I don't know.

You would probably be looking at $150-$200 (including interior) for the work he is listing cuz it will take him a matter of two hours to complete it all. Also, be careful about claims of a sealant's life span. Given normal conditions the average sealant will last about 1-3 months unless its a nano-coating which has a longer life span. You might get 6 months out of a sealant if a car is a garage queen. If you let me know what city you are in I might be able to find you someone reputable.

I hope this helps and that I didn't put any negative conotation to the guy you listed, but being a detailing enthusiast I always caution people to do their homework.

Chas

rustyosaurus 01-19-2012 12:38 PM

I live in Kansas City. Here is the guy's website: http://www.kcdetailing.com/

Also - I found the whole "additional three coats of wax on the bottom part of the car" for the winter prep interesting. Is this something that is done/recommended typically?

AAAA 01-19-2012 12:42 PM

Cool looking operation. "Hello, how much to detail my submarine?"

rustyosaurus 01-19-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 555949)
Cool looking operation. "Hello, how much to detail my submarine?"

i guess if you're into detailing, it makes sense to expand to airplanes and boats.

Chas 01-19-2012 01:00 PM

Looks like a legitimate operation he's got going there with a good website to back up his work and display it. Maybe its worth paying a bit more knowing you're going to get better quality. His price might be as high as it is since it seems like he can charge it based on the cars he has done.

You can visit a few sites and see if there is anyone else in your area:

autopia.org
autogeek.net
detailingbliss.com

bmrisko 01-19-2012 01:39 PM

I spent about 4-5 hours doing roughly the same to my WK2 after I got it, so that price doesn't seem that unreasonable, especially if you don't already own all the product. I used Chemical Guys EZ Glaze, Jetseal and Pete's 53 wax, which runs around $90 for those 3 products.

However, this sounds like a BS statement used to attract the uneducated consumer.

However, we have a secret product combination and application process that allows us to apply up to six layers of of this wax in one day. (Normally, only one layer can be applied per day.) Our favorite combination is to layer three coats of carnauba wax on top of twelve to eighteen coats of synthetic wax.

I'd be interested to hear what product they use.

rustyosaurus 01-19-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 555995)
I spent about 4-5 hours doing roughly the same to my WK2 after I got it, so that price doesn't seem that unreasonable, especially if you don't already own all the product. I used Chemical Guys EZ Glaze, Jetseal and Pete's 53 wax, which runs around $90 for those 3 products.

However, this sounds like a BS statement used to attract the uneducated consumer.

However, we have a secret product combination and application process that allows us to apply up to six layers of of this wax in one day. (Normally, only one layer can be applied per day.) Our favorite combination is to layer three coats of carnauba wax on top of twelve to eighteen coats of synthetic wax.

I'd be interested to hear what product they use.

i totally agree. that sounds really BS-y and suspect. why would you want 18 coats of wax in any situation?

and i thought i read that i shouldn't get the painted wheels waxed?

SW03ES 01-19-2012 04:33 PM

I used to detail professionally, I agree you have to be careful about detailers.

BUT, this guy is legit. If you hang around the detailing forums he's a frequent poster and his work looks top notch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyosaurus
and i thought i read that i shouldn't get the painted wheels waxed?

Why wouldn't you? They're painted...

plynn7 01-19-2012 05:14 PM

Exterior Detail ($165):
-Hand wash with microfiber
-Bug and tar removal
-Hand dry with microfiber
-Emblem, channel and crevice detailing
-Compressed air drying in all cracks and crevices
-Wheel, wheel well and door jam cleaning
-Tire and wheel well dressing
-Windows on the inside and out
-Exhaust tip

$165 Just to wash it and some tire dressing?