Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Need Help ASAP - At Dealership (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/need-help-asap-at-dealership-34398.html)

rustyosaurus 01-20-2012 12:25 PM

Need Help ASAP - At Dealership

Hi. At dealership to take delivery of my V6 4WD Overland. Just test drove it and got the drone/hum when going 65-70 mph. I didn't feel a vibration or a shudder but I wasn't sure what to look for. Everything else drove fine. Checking rest of it now. Should I still take it today? Can't remember what the deal was with this hum. Does it go away after awhile? I have the 20 inch stock tires. Thanks!

Jeep2012 01-20-2012 12:47 PM

Re: Need Help ASAP - At Dealership

i wouldn't take it till they fixed it....

berk483 01-20-2012 03:41 PM

You shouldn't get a shudder at all from the V6 and I thought most drone posts were related to MDS on the V8 but I could be wrong on that.

SixZeroFour 01-20-2012 04:15 PM

I wouldn't take delivery unless it's perfect.

rustyosaurus 01-20-2012 04:17 PM

well i took it home. everything else about it was perfect except the slight drone everyone else is reporting. the tech drove with me and heard it too and he checked an identical overland V6 and it also had it. i'm going to see what happens. worse comes to worse and they can't fix it and they give me a different one. i love the overland.

ajs800 01-20-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyosaurus (Post 556869)
well i took it home. everything else about it was perfect except the slight drone everyone else is reporting. the tech drove with me and heard it too and he checked an identical overland V6 and it also had it. i'm going to see what happens. worse comes to worse and they can't fix it and they give me a different one. i love the overland.

I have it when travelling at Hwy speeds and I'm really starting to think it's tire related. I just got back from a 150mile trip today and the fact it changes sound and fades at times depending on the pavement makes me think this. Does yours have the 20" wheels? It bascially sounds like pavement noise, correct? It sort of resonates through the steering wheel but it's really not a true vibration.

jgc4ever 01-20-2012 04:47 PM

I have the Overland with 20" Forteras. V8 Hemi engine. I get the same sound and feel it's a combination of the tires and the road. I can live with it.

bmrisko 01-20-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 556891)
I have it when travelling at Hwy speeds and I'm really starting to think it's tire related. I just got back from a 150mile trip today and the fact it changes sound and fades at times depending on the pavement makes me think this. Does yours have the 20" wheels? It bascially sounds like pavement noise, correct? It sort of resonates through the steering wheel but it's really not a true vibration.

FWIW, I have the exact same issue on my V8...stock 20" Goodyear tires. I have always thought it to be a tire issue as well since it varies depending on road surface and speed combinations.

Sparro 01-20-2012 05:25 PM

I have nothing like that on my V6.

rustyosaurus 01-20-2012 05:41 PM

thanks everyone. that makes me feel better about it. i feel like it is the tires too. the transmission driveline tech said he hadn't heard about the issue and he couldn't find anything about it when he checked online.

i probably never would have even noticed it if i had the radio on and was not looking specifically for that issue.

rustyosaurus 01-20-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 556891)

yes, i have the 20s and yes, you described it exactly. i couldn't hear it when sitting in the passenger seat when the tech was driving with me.

CFUSION 01-21-2012 03:48 AM

I have a 2012 Limited with V8 and 20's and have not heard this at all.