Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   check engine light.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/check-engine-light-34400.html)

hemi_shox 01-20-2012 12:45 PM

check engine light..

Yesterday while I was driving, the check engine light came on. The day before I had cleaned the throttle body and put it back on. I hooked everything back up the way it was before I took it off and went for a little drive, everything was fine. Today, the light was still on so I turned the key from off to on five times, the check engine light blinked 11 times. Anyone have a clue as to what this means?

Sdalz 01-20-2012 12:54 PM

Re: check engine light..

Did the check engine light stay off after blinking 11 times or stay on?

Sdalz 01-20-2012 12:56 PM

And did it give you a code or no?

hemi_shox 01-20-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdalz (Post 556712)
Did the check engine light stay off after blinking 11 times or stay on?

it stayed on after it was done blinking

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-20-2012 01:32 PM

did you do it this way?

Retrieving codes (2005-2010 Grand Cherokee):

Insert and turn the ignition key from "Off" to "On" three times, moderately fast and without pausing ("ON" is when the digital odometer displays):
Tip: use the "count to 5" method, where "1" is the first "On":
Off > On > Off > On > Off > On
0 1 2 3 4 5
0 - Insert key (Off)
1 - On
2 - Off
3 - On
4 - Off
5 - On At the third "On" the odometer display will read "DTC REPORT" and list the codes. If no codes are present the message "Done" will appear.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-20-2012 01:32 PM

If the light is flashing, severe catalytic converter damage and power loss will soon occur. Immediate service is required.

2005JGC 01-20-2012 03:14 PM

I think he ment the car was off (failed attempt at the key dance) the flashing mil with the car OFF is just telling you not all the OBDII monitors have run, and if its doing it while the car is on well then read the red above ^^^

hemi_shox 01-20-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 556808)
I think he ment the car was off (failed attempt at the key dance) the flashing mil with the car OFF is just telling you not all the OBDII monitors have run, and if its doing it while the car is on well then read the red above ^^^

Yeah, thanks for explaining. The car was off and I couldn't get it to work. I finally got it and it gave me P0507(Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected)

That's all it gave me, and said done.

What's this mean?

dr.lee.baugh 01-20-2012 04:39 PM

Like it sounds, the vehicle is idling higher than it should (or than the computer requested).

Try unplugging the battery for 20min, and then plug it back in...see if the code comes back - it is conceivable the computer has to re-adapt to the cleaner TB. Unplugging the battery will wipe the previously learned metrics.

If that doesn't work, you should check:

Vacuum leak, or a leak at the Throttle body - make sure everything went together nice and tight.

Other common causes are EGR valve, PCV valve,and the EVAP system...but I suspect the timing would point to either a leak like stated above, or a damaged throttle body itself.

Hopefully, re-setting the computer will do the trick!

FlyinRyan 01-20-2012 04:41 PM

Slim possibility that the TB is faulty....

hemi_shox 01-20-2012 07:06 PM

Well, I got it all cleared. I drove it around for a little bit and then unplugged the battery for a bit while I shoveled. The engine light disappeared and my car is happy again.

Thanks guys!!

dmsfun 01-22-2012 10:40 AM

After cleaning the TB, the idle is higher since all that gunk is removed from the throttle plate area, and it throws the code for high idle. Same thing happened to me; she should run a whole lot better now, eh ? Put on a CC and that will keep it nice and clean too.