Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Electrical Burning Smell (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/electrical-burning-smell-34401.html)

Sparro 01-20-2012 01:54 PM

Electrical Burning Smell

My wife first noticed an electrical burning smell about four days ago. I smelt nothing so dismissed it as something else she smelt... a passing car with problems or something.
Then today, I smelled it. It smelled like electrical wires burning. I couldn't localize it, just smelled inside the cabin. It lasted for about 5 minutes and went away.
Both times the heated seats were on. No lights or warning bells sounded... everything seemed normal.
Anyone else experience this or know what can be causing it?

markp99 01-20-2012 02:23 PM

Re: Electrical Burning Smell

Might be the seats. My wife's 2004 jeep had the heating elements burn clean thru the leather seats - dealer replaced. May be a HOT SPOT there somewhere.

Sparro 01-20-2012 03:21 PM

My seats don't get very hot. It's my only complaint I have.

Ratchet 01-20-2012 04:05 PM

The heating elements in our WK2's are not even remotely comparable to those in the WJ. The heated seats in my last WJ would make you do a fire dance. LOL

How long have you had your new Jeep? How many miles do you have on it?

Sparro 01-20-2012 04:13 PM

I got it on December 23rd. Right now there is about 1800 Kms on it.
I will see if I smell this again. Maybe it was nothing... or another car with problems and the smell entered my cabin.
I'm Jeep has been perfect with no issues.... hopefully it was something else.

josh3008 01-21-2012 01:51 AM

Maybe check your fuses to see if any have blown also, this may lead you in the right direction.

aphexafx 01-21-2012 03:36 AM

I doubt that it was a passing car if both of you noticed it as you explained. Under no circumstance should anything within the cabin be heating to the point that it produces a burning odor, IF it is working properly. An electrical short, failing or poorly installed heating element, or a failing/failed PCB component can easily cause what you describe. Pay attention to it and look out for anything that stops working. The vehicle diagnostics system is sensor based and unlikely to report an electrical problem unless it affects a drivetrain sensor or a module loses power (or fails) and drops off of the network. For instance, the diagnostics system cannot tell when a heating element is malfunctioning or a cap in the radio/amplifier fails.

(I would stay vigilant, at the very least!)

kennzz05 01-21-2012 05:08 AM

have heard many people make comments on how hot the rer (WK1) radio gets i know yours is newer but try narrowing it down. no heated seats one day, next day no radio etc

Sparro 01-21-2012 10:37 AM

Thanks for the input. I will definitely keep an eye and nose out for it! It's only happened twice in the almost one month of ownership so far.
I will visually check it out more thoroughly to see if I can see something.

Douggie66 05-30-2012 12:50 AM

Sparro, did you find out what caused this?? I have this same problem. Car is 3 weeks old and twice I have smelled a burning rubber/electrical smell.

The last time it happened I had the heated seat on and temperature on climate control at 22C. I figured it had come in from outside but it became that strong I started to feel quite sick. As soon as I turned the temperature down to 21 the smell disappeared. I think the 1st time it happened I had the heat on too.

Anyone else had anything similar or have any ideas??

JTS97Z28 05-30-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douggie66 (Post 636316)
Sparro, did you find out what caused this?? I have this same problem. Car is 3 weeks old and twice I have smelled a burning rubber/electrical smell.

The last time it happened I had the heated seat on and temperature on climate control at 22C. I figured it had come in from outside but it became that strong I started to feel quite sick. As soon as I turned the temperature down to 21 the smell disappeared. I think the 1st time it happened I had the heat on too.

Anyone else had anything similar or have any ideas??

not sure if its related or not, but check out my recent post. I noticed there is a piece under the dash that gets VERY hot. My carpet was resting against it and was actually melted to it. Its easy to see and get to. Again, might be unrelated, but this thing gets damn hot, and how they can allow carpet to rest against it is beyond me. Im still trying to see if someone can look at their Jeep and see if mine is missing some sort of protector or spacer.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/what-is-this-metal-piece-under-the-radio-center-stack-that-gets-very-hot-pic-inside-42529.html

Hope this helps.