Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   temp gauge moving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/temp-gauge-moving-34413.html)

jdubgrand 01-20-2012 04:06 PM

temp gauge moving

i have a 05 grand cherokee 4.7 and the temp gauge is a line or two below half while driving but when sitting at a light it goes to half or a tad bit past half but my radiator just took almost a gallon of coolant could that of been the problem

nyc_medic 01-20-2012 04:30 PM

Re: temp gauge moving

Possibly. Have you noticed any leaks under your truck?

dr.lee.baugh 01-20-2012 04:31 PM

Sounds like normal operating conditions to me...it is a gauge, rather than a binary device for a reson! The temperature of the engine will naturally fluctuate.

When you stop at a light, you don't get air-cooling, engine gets warmer, if you sat there long enough the fan would come on and keep it within spec, but you likely drive away before that point.

If it isn't dangerously high, or higher than what you would typically observe when driving it in similar conditions, there is nothing to worry about.

Did you top up the resevoir because it was below the 'add' when the engine was warm? With the colder months it will look like the coolant is lower just because of temperature related contraction.

2005JGC 01-20-2012 06:05 PM

My gauge doesnt fluctuate a MM... year round it does a bit, on a 100 degree day I am dead nuts in the center, when its 30 degrees i ride like a MM or 2 from the center line and don't move. This is not saying there is 100% a problem, but considering you had to add a bunch of coolant I would say get it looked at!

Typically when it starts warming up stopped your going to be looking at a fan issue, electronic or mechanical. Something is not pulling enough air through the radiator.

Considering you added so much coolant I would err on the side of caution and do a thorough inspection, look for leaks, worn components. If you don't see leaks you may be dealing with a head gasket issue.

Walt 01-20-2012 06:21 PM

Recommend you perform:
1. Cooling system pressure test.
2. Radiator cap pressure test (or just replace it for <$10) if it is old. Mine started to go at 60K miles (3 years). Stant is a decent replacement brand.

Ensure that the overflow recovery tank level is in-between the HI-LO marks with 50% HOAT coolant after your pressure test(s). Then, monitor the level for a couple of days to see how it varies. Check at the same point each time (like before the first start in the morning). As air pockets bleed off the cooling system, the recovery tank level will go down. Replenish the recovery tank and eventually, the level should stabilize.

Hope this helps. :)

jdubgrand 07-02-2012 11:31 PM

ended up being a fan clutch