Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/buying-new-muffler-anyone-recommend-anything-34440.html)

Amelie 01-21-2012 01:41 AM

Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
I've looked at the Flowmaster's so far and like the Super 40 and I'm thinking of buying the Super 10 because I've heard it's aggressive as f***.

Does anyone have good experience with these or other brands?

cheapjeep 01-22-2012 01:17 AM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
If you go Flowmaster make sure its the dela flow version. A lot less interior noise. I've had a 50 for years. I don't know if you can get a 40 or a 10 in the delta flow series though.

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 02:41 AM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
Race muffler on otherwise stock exhaust/engine = pointless

Amelie 01-22-2012 07:05 AM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 557856)
If you go Flowmaster make sure its the delta flow version. A lot less interior noise. I've had a 50 for years. I don't know if you can get a 40 or a 10 in the delta flow series though.

Yeah they both have the Delta Flow tech. How did you like the sound on your 50?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 557870)
Race muffler on otherwise stock exhaust/engine = pointless

While I agree with what you say, I'm also sure you realize that most people who buy them aren't aiming strictly for performance gains but buy those kinds of parts mainly for the audible experience and feedback you get from driving with it equipped.

cheapjeep 01-22-2012 12:22 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 557870)
Race muffler on otherwise stock exhaust/engine = pointless

I can't speak for a 4.0 but a performance muffler does make a difference on a 4.7 although not in a way you might think. I've done mufflers on two 4.7's A '00 Durango and my '04 HO GC. Both were stock as this is usually the first thing I do. Both responded in about the same way. Disappointing............. at first,but I was expecting this on the second one. Both vehicles seemed to lose a little in the seat of the pants acceleration category. I don't have numbers to back this up but it was enough that i could notice it. Now on to things I can prove. We have had the same 21 ft Stingray cuddy boat for 12 years and I have towed this boat until last year with 4 different vehicles. Two of them being 4.7's. We go to the same lake about 7 times a summer about 60 mi.away. On the way home from this lake is my test track. It is a 2.5 mi. grade up this godforsaken cliff called Tussey Mountain. The boat and trailer weigh #3800. Also two different mufflers were involved. Dynomax on the Durango and Flowmaster on the Jeep.With aftermarket exhaust the Durango gained a consistent 3 mph on this hill and the HO came in at between 4 to 5 mph probably due to the fact that it breathes better not exhaust choice. So....for what I do with my 4.7's freeing up the exhaust is a no brainer although I don't think it cares what brand name is back there. My take on it is that the 4.7 likes back pressure down low in the rpm band(explains out of the hole loss)but responds well to a free flow exhaust higher up in revs. The moral of the story here I guess is if you're gonna do most of your driving under 3k all an aftermarket exhaust is gonna do is make noise.After that it starts to make a difference.

Amelie 01-22-2012 12:51 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
@CheepJeep: Sounds about right

02GrandHO 01-22-2012 01:43 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
CheapJeep - X2 - I noticed that same thing on my Zj with the Bolra cat back. However, after I added headers and a highflow cat, I feel like I got that low end snap back and then some. I think what it comes down to is the sum of all the mods, not just one. I also agree part of it is just the cool factor, which is a big part of any mod. My WJ with the 4.7HO has a highflow throttle body and K&N FIPK, but stock exhaust. I definitely have more power than stock, but I can't help but feel that a good exhaust system would unlock a lot more power. That and a tuner of some sort. I also wish somebody would come up with headers for the HO in a WJ.

Gus9890 01-22-2012 01:49 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
I had dual MagnaFlows on my '92 Blazer Full size (V8, bored .040 over). I don't know if it increased performance, but I loved the sound!!

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
i had a modified 4.7 WJ. I use what many consider to be a "race" muffler, but i had accompanying mods to justify its use.

My best times across the board were with my most free-flowing setup.


Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 558066)
I can't speak for a 4.0 but a performance muffler does make a difference on a 4.7 although not in a way you might think. I've done mufflers on two 4.7's A '00 Durango and my '04 HO GC. Both were stock as this is usually the first thing I do. Both responded in about the same way. Disappointing............. at first,but I was expecting this on the second one. Both vehicles seemed to lose a little in the seat of the pants acceleration category. I don't have numbers to back this up but it was enough that i could notice it. Now on to things I can prove. We have had the same 21 ft Stingray cuddy boat for 12 years and I have towed this boat until last year with 4 different vehicles. Two of them being 4.7's. We go to the same lake about 7 times a summer about 60 mi.away. On the way home from this lake is my test track. It is a 2.5 mi. grade up this godforsaken cliff called Tussey Mountain. The boat and trailer weigh #3800. Also two different mufflers were involved. Dynomax on the Durango and Flowmaster on the Jeep.With aftermarket exhaust the Durango gained a consistent 3 mph on this hill and the HO came in at between 4 to 5 mph probably due to the fact that it breathes better not exhaust choice. So....for what I do with my 4.7's freeing up the exhaust is a no brainer although I don't think it cares what brand name is back there. My take on it is that the 4.7 likes back pressure down low in the rpm band(explains out of the hole loss)but responds well to a free flow exhaust higher up in revs. The moral of the story here I guess is if you're gonna do most of your driving under 3k all an aftermarket exhaust is gonna do is make noise.After that it starts to make a difference.


Amelie 01-22-2012 02:19 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 558155)
i had a modified 4.7 WJ. I use what many consider to be a "race" muffler, but i had accompanying mods to justify its use. My best times across the board were with my most free-flowing setup.


What kind of setup did you have?

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
Several, but i had at one point gutted precats, no main cat, 3" Y back, magnaflow 4x14" bullet muffler.

Amelie 01-22-2012 02:23 PM

Re: Buying new muffler, Anyone recommend anything?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 558172)
Several, but i had at one point gutted precats, no main cat, 3" Y back, magnaflow 4x14" bullet muffler.

Sounds good, What happened to that setup? Get rid of the Jeep it was on?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community