Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Some fun in the snow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/some-fun-in-the-snow-34445.html)

cloud11244 01-21-2012 09:22 AM

Some fun in the snow

We finally got a little snow/ice (about an inch) in Northern VA. Took the JEEP out on some untreated side street. Used "snow mode." Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1s seem to work great. JEEP was very "sure footed" even under moderate acceleration/stopping.

Question: Not sure "snow mode" offered any advantage over "auto" mode. Under what conditions (how deep does the snow have to be) do you think "snow mode" would give an advantage over "auto" mode?

SixZeroFour 01-21-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Some fun in the snow

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud11244 (Post 557329)
We finally got a little snow/ice (about an inch) in Northern VA. Took the JEEP out on some untreated side street. Used "snow mode." Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1s seem to work great. JEEP was very "sure footed" even under moderate acceleration/stopping.

Question: Not sure "snow mode" offered any advantage over "auto" mode. Under what conditions (how deep does the snow have to be) do you think "snow mode" would give an advantage over "auto" mode?

As long as there is snow under the tires and not asphalt the Snow mode works well. You start off in 2nd gear as to avoid wheelspin and the traction control seeems to be a little more touchy. It`s very quick to step in once any slip is detected.

MSCA 01-21-2012 11:43 AM

Didn't someone say that Snow Mode basically locks the center differential?

Breitling65 01-21-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud11244 (Post 557329)
We finally got a little snow/ice (about an inch) in Northern VA. Took the JEEP out on some untreated side street. Used "snow mode." Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1s seem to work great. JEEP was very "sure footed" even under moderate acceleration/stopping. I am currently driving on W965 and LM60 models, both great but I use to own other Blizzaks as well and they all great with this weather.

Great choice for tires, we got some snow in NJ today too and Blizzak's are great on it! I drove 60mph+ this morning on highways covered with several inches of snow, cornering and braking are great. Currently I am on W965 and LM60 models, both great.

armoredsaint 01-21-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 557394)
Didn't someone say that Snow Mode basically locks the center differential?

i thought 4 low does that, but not in snow?

jeep2011 01-21-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 557490)
i thought 4 low does that, but not in snow?

Snow mode locks the diff in a 50/50 torque split.

MSCA 01-21-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 557505)
Snow mode locks the diff in a 50/50 torque split.

Which means it is not intended to be used for dry roads. Auto mode allows the center diff to slip, so it is appropriate to use on any road condition.