Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Pick the Tire/Wheel combo! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/pick-the-tire-wheel-combo-34446.html)

tkdgirl 01-21-2012 09:59 AM

Pick the Tire/Wheel combo!

Hey everyone!

I'll be getting new tires in the Spring. To go along with the new tires will be new JK rubicon wheels that have been waiting patiently in the garage. But I can decide which combo or tire/wheels I want to do!!! Every time I make a decision, someone comes along with another great looking combo. So, I thought I'd ask the folks here what you'd do...

PREFACE:
2004 Graphite Metallic SE with 2" Daystar lift and 5100 Bilsteins. Currently run stock size AT2s (which I love).
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4005/afterlift2.jpg

COMBO CHOICES:

Tires: AT2 265/65R17 or 245/70R17 OWL or BSW?

Wheels: Stock JK Rubis or paint them Mineral Grey? Not a fan of blacked out wheels on the dark grey Jeep, btw.

VARIABLE:

I may upgrade to UC springs, adding another .5 to the lift. Would also like to add the radiant silver roof rails.

So if this were your GC, what combo would you pick?

cheapjeep 01-21-2012 12:26 PM

Re: Pick the Tire/Wheel combo!

Well girl you're full of curve balls today.I was gonna say mineral grey rubi's till you mentioned the roof rails. Now I'm thinking leave leave em silver to match the rails. There's also another point to consider,actually a few.If you live in a winter climate painted wheels are a pain.Same holds true if you wheel. That's all you'll ever do is touch ups and repaints if you want to keep your ride looking good. That's why I went with chrome not for bling(ok maybe a little bit) it's just hands down the most durable.Chrome rubi's?.................hhmmmmm.:lol: As far as tires go I'd stick with the 245's.That's what I have on mine and to be honest I went up another inch to make sure I don't take out any more fender liners(two sets so far) on our annual spring wheeling trip to Rock Run.

tkdgirl 01-21-2012 02:00 PM

Thanks for the snow insight. Salt is a pain on every part of the Jeep and the last thing I want is to do constant touch up. So BWL or OWL?

cheapjeep 01-21-2012 10:54 PM

All black is the in thing now days but if the At2's only come in white letters leave them out.I hate when people mount the white letters in.That just looks worse to me when you see white letters underneath your vehicle.

Amelie 01-22-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkdgirl (Post 557342)
Would also like to add the radiant silver roof rails

These rails you mention, Where do you plan on buying them if they end up factoring into your plans?

Also, how do you your ride quality with the Bilstein 5100's?

tkdgirl 01-22-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 557897)
These rails you mention, Where do you plan on buying them if they end up factoring into your plans?

Also, how do you your ride quality with the Bilstein 5100's?

The roof rails wherever I can get the best deal. Any tips? As for the Bilsteins, love them. The ride is so much better. Even my friend who's pretty well known in the off road community loves the ride, so much so he put the same lift and shocks on his WJ. I'll be adding some addcos at some point, rear first.

Amelie 01-23-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkdgirl (Post 558400)
The roof rails wherever I can get the best deal. Any tips?

Sorry, I haven't delved too much into roof rails or anything :(

Quote:

As for the Bilsteins, love them. The ride is so much better. Even my friend who's pretty well known in the off road community loves the ride, so much so he put the same lift and shocks on his WJ. I'll be adding some addcos at some point, rear first.

I've been trying to convince my father to get a pair of the 4600's since the WJ is not lifted but he's been so adept with going with NAPA lol. As for the Addco sway bars, starting with the rear is an excellent idea and I'll look forward to the day you buy and have it installed so we can hear your testimonials. I'm in the process if buying one as well so I need all the opinions I can get even though there all overwhelmingly positive. lol Good luck to you :thumbsup:

cheapjeep 01-23-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

The roof rails wherever I can get the best deal. Any tips?

Yes,save yourself some money and just paint yours.You have to take them off anyway.

tkdgirl 01-23-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 558843)
Yes,save yourself some money and just paint yours.You have to take them off anyway.

Intrigued. So I'd just sand them a bit, apply primer then paint/clear coat?

And paint recommendations? Would be nice to paint them the silver that's on the SE grill.

99PlatinumWJ 01-23-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkdgirl (Post 559101)
Intrigued. So I'd just sand them a bit, apply primer then paint/clear coat?

And paint recommendations? Would be nice to paint them the silver that's on the SE grill.

That's how I did mine.. I can't remember what paint I used.. either duplicolor or rustoleum.. be sure to clean them before and after sanding with wax and tar remover. Also wait until spring when its warm enough out to paint :thumbsup:

99PlatinumWJ 01-23-2012 09:14 PM

I wouldn't paint the rims.. I painted my stock rims and it was a pain with touching up... If anything try plastidip so if u don't like the black it just peals off. Just my 2 cents

tkdgirl 01-24-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99PlatinumWJ (Post 559157)
That's how I did mine.. I can't remember what paint I used.. either duplicolor or rustoleum.. be sure to clean them before and after sanding with wax and tar remover. Also wait until spring when its warm enough out to paint :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike. Your Jeep is looking awesome!!! Yep, any painting waits until it gets above 60. In Michigan, that might not be until June!