Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Hemi questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/hemi-questions-34452.html)

tuner088 01-21-2012 11:59 AM

Hemi questions

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a '12 JGC V8 and this being my 1st Hemi if I do pick it up, I have a couple of questions.

1. I noticed that the Hemi is a bit loud while idling and definitely under acceleration, is there anyway to tone it down a bit short of changing the exhaust? I'm doing a little bit of an extended test drive with 1 right now and I can remote start it from my house and I can hear the jeep idling all the way in my bedroom at the back of my house upstairs with the windows closed. :worried:

2. Currently I'm getting a little over 12 mp in the city, should I expect more after a few tanks of gas, or should I look forward to seeing that number stay there? I don't really drive fast, and I don't have too much stop and go traffic. Right now I'm fighting to keep the ECO light on, but so far I'm starting to feel like the whole MDS thing is more of a fluke.

Thank for any info. :thumbsup:

UNCjeepWK2 01-21-2012 12:19 PM

Re: Hemi questions

You're complaining about a Hemi being... loud? Maybe you should've gotten a Highlander... :-)

01grand 01-21-2012 12:30 PM

MDS is for the highway, it wont kick on too much unless you are cruising level at a constant speed. If you are concerned about mileage look at the V6, or another vehicle. If you like the power of the hemi and/or need to tow/haul sometimes, then you will have to compromise on the sound and mpg of the V8.

armoredsaint 01-21-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNCjeepWK2 (Post 557409)
You're complaining about a Hemi being... loud? Maybe you should've gotten a Highlander... :-)

+1, so much fail and mancard revoked for 1 week :D

tuner088 01-21-2012 12:52 PM

I know the Hemi is suppose to have some loudness to it, I know more about the sound and power under acceleration, but to me it sounds more like a diesel. I'm not complaining by any means, but coming from luxury cars, previous Lexus and current MB, I'm not sure what to expect.

bmrisko 01-21-2012 01:19 PM

The Hemi is extremely quiet to me, other than a slight tick at idle. Of course, I am coming from a tuned 5.3L Tahoe w/ Corsa exhaust and CAI.

Maybe you need a house with better insulation. I can't hear my Tahoe idling inside my house, let alone the WK2. :thumbsup:

EDIT: My wife just read that and her words, "That's just downright girly, sounds like he should have bought a V6!"

Corp Cog 01-21-2012 02:18 PM

Well, gender stereotypes aside, my experience with the Hemi is that it is not very loud at idle. It is "throaty" under hard acceleration, but in my opinion is pretty respectable in the parking lot, not sounding like a adolescent's muscle car, not even as loud as my Subaru 3.6, which had a loud idle sounding like a chorus of sewing machines.

My mileage varies a surprising amount, from a low of 14ish to a high of near 19. I have a mix of city and highway and see the "ECO" on more often than not. I have no regrets in getting the V8, having that torque there when I expect it is worth the price differential.

Chi-One 01-21-2012 03:28 PM

"EDIT: My wife just read that and her words, "That's just downright girly, sounds like he should have bought a V6!":jump::lol:

tuner088 01-21-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-One (Post 557537)
"EDIT: My wife just read that and her words, "That's just downright girly, sounds like he should have bought a V6!":jump::lol:

Honestly I can careless what your wife says, I'd rather not go back and forth with someone that probably makes the decisions for you. It's not really hard to answer a simple set of questions. Everyone has to have a smart ass comment instead of writing a simple response. If I wanted to hear lame jokes I would just watch Comedy Central. If you don't have anything positive to say in regards to my questions I would appreciate it if you and everyone else that wants to jump on the dry humping bandwagon to keep your comments to yourself. :buttkick:

BTW, if you read the actual post, instead of playing paddy cake with your wife over there, you would see that I actually didn't buy anything yet, It's an extended test drive.

peckmv 01-21-2012 05:44 PM

The hemi does have a ticking noise that is normal. To me it almost sounds like a V6 at parking lot speeds. The proof is in the pudding when you push the pedal on the right. I'm getting 15-16 in suburbia. I have heard numbers of 21-23 on the highway. I was lucky if I got 14 on the highway with my Tahoe, so I'm pleased. Planning a trip to the mountains in a couple of weeks so I get my first "road trip" feedback.;)

bmrisko 01-21-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuner088 (Post 557577)
Honestly I can careless what your wife says, I'd rather not go back and forth with someone that probably makes the decisions for you. It's not really hard to answer a simple set of questions. Everyone has to have a smart ass comment instead of writing a simple response. If I wanted to hear lame jokes I would just watch Comedy Central. If you don't have anything positive to say in regards to my questions I would appreciate it if you and everyone else that wants to jump on the dry humping bandwagon to keep your comments to yourself. :buttkick:

BTW, if you read the actual post, instead of playing paddy cake with your wife over there, you would see that I actually didn't buy anything yet, It's an extended test drive.

Chill out man, it is all in good fun. :lol::lol::lol: Obviously the 5.7L WK2 isn't for you and maybe you would be better off sticking to the offerings on the Benz lot...

As far as a simple answer to your MPG question: 15-17 around town and 19-21 on the interstate.

MikeD 01-21-2012 09:20 PM

I feel that the Hemi is too quiet, can barely hear it, as for mileage I've averaged about 12 city and 19 hwy consistently.