Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Fake Flashing security light install in a 2012

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mfracassa 
#1 ·
2012 Laredo with keyless entry system. No alarm system. I have this fake flashing red light thing I want to install to make it look like there is an alarm (just to discourage would be break-ins a little.)
Ideally it requires an ignition off ground (a ground that is only active when vehicle is turned off) and also a A 12 volt lead that is active with ignition off.

Can anyone offer advice on a good installation spot before I start investigating under the dash/behind the radio?

Any idea if I can find what i need in the overhead console?

Thanks!
Matt

#2 ·
If I were you I'd tap directly into the battery. It's located under the passenger seat. Or you could tap into the center console 12V outlet that is always on if I'm not mistaken.

Be careful tapping into anything else as the Jeep uses a high-speed CAN bus system and thus tapping into the wrong thing could open a huge can of worms.

#3 ·
Can't remember where I got it, but I have a simple plug-in to the lighter socket that resembles a cell phone plug. Very bright flashing red light at night should deter the amateur thief. I keep my car in the garage at home, but use it whenever I travel and stay at motels, or in city areas I'm not familiar with at night. No problems so far. I've had it for years, but would think it should be available at most auto parts stores for just a few bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.