Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   HVAC Fan Noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/hvac-fan-noise-34492.html)

brandont 01-22-2012 10:19 AM

HVAC Fan Noise

I was driving for a few minutes yesterday when suddenly I started hearing a fast clicking noise coming from behind the glovebox or passengers' side lower console. When I shut off the HVAC the clicking slowed then stopped. Turn back on and it starts very slowly then speeds up. Imagine holding a piece of plastic against a house fan - or for your IT guys, it sounds just like a wire against a case fan. Unfortunately it went away after a minute (and some banging on the glovebox and kick panel). Then later it came back again, then went away again. It does not sound like bad bearings, definitely like something hitting the fan.

Now I know I could take it to the dealer but I hate going to the dealer for stupid crap - especially when it is intermittent and might not manifest itself when they have the truck. Too many times I've spent the day shuffling around without a car and they 'can't reproduce the problem'. So what I'd like to know is (1) Has anyone else had this issue - if so what was done about it and (2) Is it possible I can remove a few interior panels and get at this fan myself to remove whatever is hitting it? Or is this something I would have to remove the whole dash to get at? Thanks!

Chi-One 01-22-2012 10:49 AM

Re: HVAC Fan Noise

Open the hood and look for leaves, etc on the mesh grill intake of the cowl. I've also seen small leaves pass thru into the mesh into the blower ducting.

brandont 01-22-2012 02:58 PM

I'll do that, but isn't the cabin air filter before the fan?

Actually - I just looked at the intake. It looks just like new. Also there is a very fine mesh screen below the plastic slits. My guess is that even the stem of a leaf would have a hard time fitting through the mesh. I can't imagine anything getting through it.

peckmv 01-22-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 557980)
I was driving for a few minutes yesterday when suddenly I started hearing a fast clicking noise coming from behind the glovebox or passengers' side lower console. When I shut off the HVAC the clicking slowed then stopped. Turn back on and it starts very slowly then speeds up. Imagine holding a piece of plastic against a house fan - or for your IT guys, it sounds just like a wire against a case fan. Unfortunately it went away after a minute (and some banging on the glovebox and kick panel). Then later it came back again, then went away again. It does not sound like bad bearings, definitely like something hitting the fan.

Now I know I could take it to the dealer but I hate going to the dealer for stupid crap - especially when it is intermittent and might not manifest itself when they have the truck. Too many times I've spent the day shuffling around without a car and they 'can't reproduce the problem'. So what I'd like to know is (1) Has anyone else had this issue - if so what was done about it and (2) Is it possible I can remove a few interior panels and get at this fan myself to remove whatever is hitting it? Or is this something I would have to remove the whole dash to get at? Thanks!

Same exact thing happened to me yesterday. It sounds like a piece of paper hitting the fan. It then made a loud slap and then the noise went away. I guess whatever was hitting the fan got sucked thru. I'm guessing some manufacturing sticker got loose and is floating inside the ductwork. I guess I'll wait to see if the mystery object in my ductwork comes back.;)

kaflyboy 01-22-2012 10:52 PM

Its your blower motor for ac\ heat. I'm getting my third one put in this week.

brandont 01-23-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 558491)
Its your blower motor for ac\ heat. I'm getting my third one put in this week.

Ok, so i am not the only one. Is the blower something I could access to see if I can clear whatever is in the way, or is it a major job to get to it? I don't mind pulling a panel or two but I don't want to disassemble the whole dash.

peckmv 01-23-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 558612)
Ok, so i am not the only one. Is the blower something I could access to see if I can clear whatever is in the way, or is it a major job to get to it? I don't mind pulling a panel or two but I don't want to disassemble the whole dash.

Its involved. Time for a trip to the dealer.

Bluehighways 01-24-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 558362)
Same exact thing happened to me yesterday. It sounds like a piece of paper hitting the fan. It then made a loud slap and then the noise went away. I guess whatever was hitting the fan got sucked thru. I'm guessing some manufacturing sticker got loose and is floating inside the ductwork. I guess I'll wait to see if the mystery object in my ductwork comes back.;)

Let us know what it looks like when it comes flying out one of your vents . . . 'cause it probably didn't "just go away" forever.

brandont 01-26-2012 08:03 AM

Well the noise had initially appeared Sat and it is now Thu and I haven't heard it again yet. If it does happen again I guess I will attempt a dealer fix, but I am certain that they won't be able to reproduce it. And I haven't met a dealer yet that will tear down a car to find a problem just because a customer says there is something wrong.

bigpanda 02-08-2012 05:55 PM

My fan noise is little different. It sounds like old PC hard drive and stops when I turn off HVAC. It comes from passenger side foot area, not from the speaker. It wasn't there when the car was new and now I can hear it.

Is this heat blower problem?

MikeD 02-09-2012 10:41 AM

I just noticed the other day when turning the fan speed down a clicking/grinding noise from behind the glove box area. I never had any issues with like this with my '06 Jeep SRT8. For being at the top of reliability I feel there are a lot of issues regarding this Jeep and I have most of them.

duckmebe 02-26-2012 03:48 PM

I just purchased my 2012 JGC Laredo X and I am getting a whistling from the vents no matter what mode the ductwork is or fan speed is at (no clicking). It disappears (or seems to) when you turn the temp. to low. The pitch of the frequency increases as the heat increases. It appears to be the loudest near the drivers side foot duct. I really don't want to tear the dash out as they never are the same after that. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on what to do. It really makes my heart sink every time I turn on the heat which is something you can't get away from here in northern Minnesota.