Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Inching Closer to an Overland V8 - Questions! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/inching-closer-to-an-overland-v8-questions-34501.html)

MikeBoom 01-22-2012 12:25 PM

Inching Closer to an Overland V8 - Questions!

I'm moving a bit closer to an Overland V8, but I wanted to tap into the collective brainpower here to see if you could provide a little more info.

-First, the easy one: I really like the Saddle interior, but I've read the reports here of the dye abrading off of these seats with virtually the lightest of use. I took a close look at a Saddle interior at the local Jeep dealer and it appeared to have just a thin layer of sprayed-on dye. Has anyone not had problems with this interior, or is it a random issue? How's Jeep been about correcting this in situations where there's been a problem?

-Second, a bigger concern: I'm a leadfoot. My last two cars were, respectively, a Subaru STi and (presently) a BMW 535xi, both modified. The STi was a beast and even the 535 reliably does 0-60 in under 5 seconds (remapped software). I know the GC is a big animal and it would be necessary to move into the SRT to match the straight-line performance of my current/previous cars, but what, if anything, can be achieved for a modest investment (i.e., $1,000-$2,000)? I know there are things you can do to make it louder, but I'm not interested in a CAI or aftermarket exhaust that wouldn't actually result in substantial gains in straight line performance. Any thoughts?

-Third, acknowledging that this is at odds with one who's an admitted leadfoot, what kind of actual mileage do you V8 owners see on the highway? I'm a bit shy of achieving that status of "total idiot," generally content to cruise at about 75 on four lane roads, which in Illinois means you're in the bottom quartile of speeders. ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Lingohocken 01-22-2012 01:15 PM

Re: Inching Closer to an Overland V8 - Questions!

No fading or rubbing noted on our saddle finish after 7k miles, but it does scratch easily and these scratches do show more than expected.

If you don't need offroad or face serious snow, then don't hesitate to spring for the incredible SRT8. Just make sure you see it in the color you're considering -- don't rely on screen shots or pix -- and see the color in various types of light. Just because a color looks sharp on an Overland doesn't mean it will look as appropriate on an SRT.

Chi-One 01-22-2012 02:05 PM

Hi Mike,

re: mileage
I run I-294 daily. I would have to put myself in the upper quartile of speeders. I consistently see 14-16mpg with the HEMI.:D

Solace 01-22-2012 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The other day, we had some chilly weather and I took a picture of my evic to show a friend in Sask, so that's the reason of the pic lol. I'm 90% highway driving and normally range from 14-15.5L/100km (15-16.8mpg).

cbowen 01-22-2012 06:53 PM

No rubbing or fading issues on my saddle interior with 3k miles. I can see the left side of the driver seat where you usually rub it getting in and out of the vehicle being an issue in the future. I have been trying to lower the jeep when I am parking to prevent as little rubbing as possible.

I am seeing about 14.5 mpg but that is mostly city driving. I bought my Jeep 3 1/2 hours from home so that is really the only highway driving I did and I think remember seeing it around 18mpg if i stayed under 75mph when I was pushing it around 80-85 it was around 15mpg.

JTS97Z28 01-22-2012 07:44 PM

I dont own an Overland right now but have been on the forums a lot.
From what I have read the fading issues are mainly going to be due to the way people get in and out of their cars. Basically, people that rub the heck out of the bolsters will cause that wear. Im not saying it should be wearing that early, but its certainly not caused from the air lol. So basically what im saying is, if you like the saddle interior, but are concerned with wear issues on the bolsters, dont grind against your side bolsters when you get in and out. This will result in like new looking seats for many years.

There really isnt anything you can do to the non-SRT grand cherokee's to make them fast. Cold air and exhaust are always negligible additions at best. And im sure the last thing you want to do is start digging into your motor and doing serious mods. Even if you do that it still wont be fast per say. The Hemi will feel pretty good and for a SUV I think you will be pleased with its performance.

Fuel economy.....its a V8 Jeep, its not going to be good. It wont even be good if you have the lightest foot in the world. Since you said you have a lead foot, expect very poor fuel economy. Numbers like low to mid teens. Sorry, but its the truth. As much as I love the Hemi, I just will not get myself into a new car that does that poor on fuel. The V6 is better, but even that is not excellent on fuel for todays standards. I used to own an 08 SRT8 that I LOVED. I ended up selling it because it got soo old filling that pig up every 3 days.

Regardless of the Jeeps fuel economy, there still is not a single vehicle available that has the amount of features the Overland has for the price. A new Overland with adaptive cruise package is the absolute best bang for the buck hands down.

ajs800 01-22-2012 08:48 PM

I've had mine for 2mos with no leather issues thus far. I have a late 2011 build date, so I'm thinking that I may have the newer version that some are being replaced with because it seems like it will hold up well. I haven't cleaned or conditioned it yet as I hear conflicting stuff on this. Some say that conditioning will only cause premature wear due to it softening the leather too much and that from the factory it's made to last with just periodic cleanings. This is coming from someone that has used lexol cleaner/cond on my previous vehicles every couple months.

PECo 01-22-2012 08:49 PM

I'm getting 14.5 mpg in local driving on very hilly roads, but I drive very gently. In the vast flatness of the greater Chicagoland area, I'd expect to get at least 1.5 to two mpg better than that.

On the only lengthy road trip that I've taken, I got over 20 mpg on the highway. I actually had my average mileage on the EVIC at 20.0 mpg. :)

Sliter'12Overland 01-23-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 558366)
I dont own an Overland right now but have been on the forums a lot.
From what I have read the fading issues are mainly going to be due to the way people get in and out of their cars. Basically, people that rub the heck out of the bolsters will cause that wear. Im not saying it should be wearing that early, but its certainly not caused from the air lol. So basically what im saying is, if you like the saddle interior, but are concerned with wear issues on the bolsters, dont grind against your side bolsters when you get in and out. This will result in like new looking seats for many years.

There really isnt anything you can do to the non-SRT grand cherokee's to make them fast. Cold air and exhaust are always negligible additions at best. And im sure the last thing you want to do is start digging into your motor and doing serious mods. Even if you do that it still wont be fast per say. The Hemi will feel pretty good and for a SUV I think you will be pleased with its performance.

Fuel economy.....its a V8 Jeep, its not going to be good. It wont even be good if you have the lightest foot in the world. Since you said you have a lead foot, expect very poor fuel economy. Numbers like low to mid teens. Sorry, but its the truth. As much as I love the Hemi, I just will not get myself into a new car that does that poor on fuel. The V6 is better, but even that is not excellent on fuel for todays standards. I used to own an 08 SRT8 that I LOVED. I ended up selling it because it got soo old filling that pig up every 3 days.

Regardless of the Jeeps fuel economy, there still is not a single vehicle available that has the amount of features the Overland has for the price. A new Overland with adaptive cruise package is the absolute best bang for the buck hands down.

I'm confused. Isn't that a Z06 Vette??? What does that get for MPG with your foot anywhere near the pedal? I'm sure it's more like yards per gallon. Furthermore under your avatar it says you have a 2011 WK2 w/ HEMI??? Yes the HEMI is less than stellar (terrible) but if you want to have any fun moving this beast down the road that is what it takes. The V6 is adequate and can get you double the mileage but buying a HEMI isn't an accident you have a good idea what you're getting hence the all caps HEMI Vs. Pentastar!!
As far as the Saddle leather goes we are about 3000 mi in and they are starting to soften up a little but the color is vivid and shows no sign of wear. The softening is welcome as I thought they were a little stiff.
If you are looking at Overlands let me suggest the ORA II package. For $995 you get the full skid plate treatment, tow hooks, trail rated badge, the 18" polished aluminum wheels, and QD II / ELSD which is worth it's weight in gold. It was standard on '11 Overlands w/ the HEMI but was put into this package for '12 to do this aftermarket would cost thousands!!
I'm sure there will be a tuner for this motor eventually which will be nice as sport is really the only fun mode for on road driving and I would love to make a custom tune and throw MPG caution out the window!:thumbsup:

WK2 Rover 01-23-2012 10:36 AM

I get 20+ MPG cruising at 80 MPH with the ECO light illuminated. I have seen ECO on a couple MPH higher, but 80 seems to be the limit of ECO-mode cruising. I love the Hemi pwer and sound, and the 5-speed is geared very nicely with this engine.

BlueLodge400 01-23-2012 10:44 AM

2nd Question:
I have the V8 and I am not at all impressed with its performance. It’s 0-60 is much slower than I anticipated. It seems the Hemi engine is very sluggish, especially at higher altitudes. Since I did a 2year lease, the dealer wasn’t willing to lease their only SRT8 (they were only selling it at MSRP, no option to lease). Since you want better performance, I would go with the SRT8.
At this time, there are very with aftermarket things you can do to get substantial performance increases. You can always supercharge the Overland but by the time you are done doing that you would have already sunk in the same amount of $ to get an SRT8.

3rd Question:
I get about 12-13mpg between Highway and City driving.

tyresmoker 01-23-2012 10:45 AM

Agree. I have about 6k on mine...one of the last '11's built..no color issues but definite wear issues on the left bolster. Never had a vehicle without the same issue. Too old to train a new way to get in and out of a car...
My mileage varies..I just did a round trip to DC from CT. Averaged 18.5- 19 at cruising speeds.