Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Real 5.7 Power Adders? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/real-5-7-power-adders-34502.html)

ech0sh4y 01-22-2012 12:26 PM

Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
So I have the '08 5.7 wk and I've been reading and reading but I am wondering where are the real write-ups and reviews for power adders? I was contemplating a supercharger, then I read that the Hemi's are the best candidate of force induction. This lead me to the 6.1 swap, sure just money and bolt it. Well then i was thinking about stroking the 5.7 might as well save money and build a 6.1.

Anyways in the end I should have bought a srt8. But my questions, what would it take to build some decent power out of the stock 5.7? I've read that a cam upgrade will help, as well as using a 6.1 intake manifold. Maybe upgrade the throttle body, and get a custom tune. I'm not looking for exhaust or intake add-ons. 6.1 headers might be a whose choice, but why not upgrade the heads, isn't that the biggest down fall of these engines?

I'd like to add more horse-ies but also keep the CEL off and keep it a clean look. Suggestions?

Chaoul1 01-22-2012 04:53 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
I'm in for N/A. I like Superchargers and Turbos too, but I see them in different ways.

If you want to wake up your 5.7L go with Inertia for you Cams and Heads. Speak to Stu and he'll tell you everything you need to get what you want. For Headers you can go with A/R's or SRT Exhaust Mani's.

For the Intake Mani you can go with a 6.1 Swap and get the Swap Kit for it too. After all that you WILL NEED a CMR tune.

uglycar 01-22-2012 10:39 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
I have added a diablosport predator, with a custom tune, an afe intake and flowmaster muffler. The power increase is noticeable but nothing to brag about. I agree about the srt8 thing. I regret not getting one every day!

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 10:42 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
How much power are you looking to make?

4.whoa 01-23-2012 07:06 AM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ech0sh4y (Post 558068)
6.1 headers might be a whose choice, but why not upgrade the heads, isn't that the biggest down fall of these engines?

I'd like to add more horse-ies but also keep the CEL off and keep it a clean look. Suggestions?

Well, the HEADS are NOT the biggest downfall of the hemi,but the 5.7 stock MANIFOLDS probably are. Ported heads are always better of course, but if you let the stock heads be able to breathe you're ahead of the game. Some seem to have been able to get the 6.1 headers to work with out CEL's but some not. the 6.1 stock "header type" manifolds are 10X better the the 5.7's and don't have any trouble (like CEL's)
If you want to boost it, the 6.1 has a forged stock crank, so you could probably get one from an srt guy building a stroker fairly cheap :thumbsup:

ech0sh4y 01-23-2012 06:24 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
I didn't really have a HP goal in mind, but 50-100+ would be great on the 5.7. Once i get a few more miles on this engine I'll start to gather parts for a 6.1 stoker build/swap.

What would you guys roughly estimate the gains would be on the above items mentioned?

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 06:36 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ech0sh4y (Post 558991)
I didn't really have a HP goal in mind, but 50-100+ would be great on the 5.7. Once i get a few more miles on this engine I'll start to gather parts for a 6.1 stoker build/swap.

What would you guys roughly estimate the gains would be on the above items mentioned?

50 could be done with bolt-ons without a problem. 100 would likely require a cam. It seems like intake/exhaust/CMR is resulting in 5.7 Jeeps going high 13's/low 14's in the 1/4 mile.

Email me if you need tuning support.

4.whoa 01-23-2012 06:45 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
I'm not an expert,but i'd say a cam,FULL exhaust,CAI, and a good tune (get with ryan from post #4)EDIT -and post #7 :p will give you another 50-100hp, and you can keep the stock rotating assembly.
FYI from what I've read, the 6.1 crank is the same stroke as the 5.7, but it's forged and the 6.1 block wont bolt up to the 545 tranny you have.

Escape 01-23-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
Your 5.7 is a HEMI and it is a great starting point/foundation!

If staying N/A stroke it to a 392 and call it a day!

If going F/I get a 392 and a turbo - just deliver it to Stage 6 and tell them what you want done!

ech0sh4y 01-23-2012 07:47 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
What other supporting mods would be needed to support a 392 (5.7 stoker)?

ech0sh4y 01-23-2012 07:48 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 558996)
50 could be done with bolt-ons without a problem. 100 would likely require a cam. It seems like intake/exhaust/CMR is resulting in 5.7 Jeeps going high 13's/low 14's in the 1/4 mile.

Email me if you need tuning support.


Could you explain a bit more on the 3 main things to upgrade to achieve 50-100hp gain? such as intake, are you talking just a cold air add-on or are you talking 6.1 (or aftermarket) mainfold? For exhaust, I would assume complete system? Do you have any more info on your tuning?

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 07:58 PM

Re: Real 5.7 Power Adders?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ech0sh4y (Post 559065)
Could you explain a bit more on the 3 main things to upgrade to achieve 50-100hp gain? such as intake, are you talking just a cold air add-on or are you talking 6.1 (or aftermarket) mainfold? For exhaust, I would assume complete system? Do you have any more info on your tuning?

I'm talking about cold air intake, a exhaust (i.e. SRT8 true duals or equivalent), and a CMR tune. 6.1 exhaust manifolds would be a plus, longtubes would be even better but are $$$$$$$. 6.1 manifold is a nice piece but not a good fit for a stock-cam application.

What info about CMR are you looking for?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community