Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Help with throttle body (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/help-with-throttle-body-34507.html)

dr.lee.baugh 01-22-2012 01:27 PM

Help with throttle body

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

As you can see from the picture, it's time to clean my TB again.

Last time, I left it attached. This time, I thought I would do it right and remove it.

Of course, the simplest part of the removal has me stuck!

How the heck do I remove this connector (I know, such a simple thing...but the tab doesn't seem to want to budge).

Any enlightnenment would be appreciated!

lll2for3lll 01-22-2012 01:29 PM

Re: Help with throttle body

Lol. It was so simple that I can't remember how I removed mine. I didn't give it much thought I guess.

Looks like the red tab slides back.

lll2for3lll 01-22-2012 01:30 PM

Maybe I didn't have that connector. Hell, I don't know. Lol.

dr.lee.baugh 01-22-2012 02:12 PM

I've tried sliding it back, but it doesn't want to budge.

Didn't want to apply a whole lot of force until someone was able to say for certain that's how to take it off...looks like it would be a bit of a pain if it broke...

So, can anyone confirm that's the trick, just give it a bit more persuasion and slide the tab back?

99formulam6 01-22-2012 03:09 PM

The red tab slides, and then you will either pull up on the end of the black tab under it, or possibly push it down. I don't remember though. It kinda looks like you need to push the red tab toward the right and then you should see the tab under it and see what you need to do.

jeepgcoman 01-22-2012 03:35 PM

Hey Doc, slide the red tab to the left (as you're facing the engine) and to the left of the red tab push down (toward the back of the motor) on the black thing under the tab. You may need a screw driver to apply the pressure just to the left of the red lock tab. Does that make sense?

dr.lee.baugh 01-22-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks all for the help guys.

Job done, and I'm rockin' a nice clean TB again.

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 12:49 AM

Ever think of running a catch can? Would definitely help minimize the buildup of that stuff.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-23-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 558556)
Ever think of running a catch can? Would definitely help minimize the buildup of that stuff.

^x2 if this has been cleaned before you definately need a catch can

dr.lee.baugh 01-23-2012 11:08 AM

I do a lot of driving (150,000+ miles on the Jeep), and this is the third time that I have cleaned it.

I am seriously thinking about buying a 2011/2012 GC for my daily driver, so wanted to hold-off doing anything more to the '05 until I decide which way to go there.

If I do decide to keep it, I think that's certainly something I will do.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Escape 01-23-2012 06:59 PM

A catch can will mount to both the 05 and 2012 model and is easily swapped to any vehicle with a PCV system.

dmsfun 01-24-2012 07:11 PM

IT's not just the TB that gets crapped up. the entire intake mani gets caked with gunk, so a CC is well worth it. All hemi owners should do this first before anything else. It's $100 for a Billet tech and a 15 minute install. The cheapo ebay CC's do not have the internal baflles built in like the Billet Tech, to keep the collected liquid from getting sucked into the intake.