Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Is it Easy being Green? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/is-it-easy-being-green-34519.html)

CaptRB 01-22-2012 04:29 PM

Is it Easy being Green?

Stopped by the Shoprite this morning and spotted a blonde gal in a dark forest green Overland. I was shocked at how nice it looked (SB interior set it off better than anything else I've seen).
I spoke with her for a few minutes. She traded a X5 for it, but was not thrilled with how much the Jeep ended up costing in the end (not far from the X5 she complained).

Well...I liked the green, which adds to my color confusion! My wife likes the Red.

Robert B
NY

77Cherokee 01-22-2012 06:26 PM

Re: Is it Easy being Green?

I guess she thought the BMW nameplate should be worth much more than the GC, which is now considered a luxury SUV, without the nameplate, or the price tag. I'll take the Jeep any day. :p

SW03ES 01-22-2012 07:33 PM

We LOVE the green...

Sparro 01-22-2012 07:36 PM

Up here in the Great White North, an X5 equiped with all the options I have on my Overland was over 35K more. Big difference up here!

CaptRB 01-22-2012 09:47 PM

My friend just bought a X5 with nav, 3rd row and convenience package for just over 48K. That's pretty close to a well loaded Overland Summit. But the problem is that the X5 is really just a road car and quite limited. If you don't have a crazy road with crazy snow it is clearly a "drivers" choice over the Jeep.
If you really look you'll see that the cost of a well equipped Overland is right in the pits with the Q5 and even a Q7. A VERY loaded Benz GLK was less money and a base M-Class 4matic was in the same zone again. Most people who buy a loaded Overland can certainly afford these other cars. I'm picking the Jeep because the others are ONLY cars for the most part. If the Q7 was 4X4 with a lifting suspension and all the rest...I'd consider it. The Jeep is almost alone in it's segment, mainly challenged by the unreliable LR4. And we could have bought one of those with Nav for 47K.
We looked at a fully loaded Overland Summit with a MSRP of 52K which I believe we could have bought for 46K. So there's just not a world of differences here, until you get down to which car can really get the job done on a tough road.

Robert B
NY

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-22-2012 10:24 PM

im guesing she traded a base X5 into a loaded overland

SW03ES 01-22-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB (Post 558446)
If you really look you'll see that the cost of a well equipped Overland is right in the pits with the Q5 and even a Q7. A VERY loaded Benz GLK was less money and a base M-Class 4matic was in the same zone again. Most people who buy a loaded Overland can certainly afford these other cars.
NY

The GLK and Q5 are MUCH smaller than the Jeep. They're downright tiny with extremely limited rear seat room and cargo room compared to the Jeep. Not really comparable.

It's not really about being able to afford a certain car, it's about which vehicle has the most value, and I think in this segment the Jeep is an indisputable value.

rustyosaurus 01-22-2012 11:59 PM

a similarly equipped X5 is more than a 15k difference in MSRP. i also had priced out a Q5 and it was more than a 5k difference and it didn't even include all the options on the JGC. i didn't even price out the Q7 because it would have been more than a 10k difference.

Nightwatch 01-23-2012 01:12 AM

I could have leased a higher MSRP ML350 for less than a Summit V8...similar terms.

Like the Jeep better though.

The current X5 is nice (5.0 is a brute) but getting a bit dated, redesign not far off.

CaptRB 01-23-2012 08:12 AM

When you guys price these cars out I don't know what you're doing! A VERY loaded Q5 premium with 3.2L is about the same as the loaded Summit. And a regular X5 with leather and Nav is just 2-3K more depending on how hard you shop. My friend's X5 is nicely equipped and is in the same ballpark. He did not need the Jeep's capabilities but did need a 3rd row.

Robert B
NY

SW03ES 01-24-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigh****ch (Post 558560)
I could have leased a higher MSRP ML350 for less than a Summit V8...similar terms.

No surprise. Much better resale than the Jeep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB
When you guys price these cars out I don't know what you're doing! A VERY loaded Q5 premium with 3.2L is about the same as the loaded Summit.

May be, but for an entirely different type and size of vehicle.

ctwickman 01-25-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB (Post 558616)
When you guys price these cars out I don't know what you're doing! A VERY loaded Q5 premium with 3.2L is about the same as the loaded Summit. And a regular X5 with leather and Nav is just 2-3K more depending on how hard you shop. My friend's X5 is nicely equipped and is in the same ballpark. He did not need the Jeep's capabilities but did need a 3rd row.

Robert B
NY

A Q5 is a different class of SUV and competes with the X3 and Liberty and the like.