Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   KRC cams (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/krc-cams-34521.html)

JeepTing 01-22-2012 05:33 PM

KRC cams

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of KRC 218 cams for about the same price as a new pair of HO cams. Not able to find a lot of info on these cams. Can I run them with my currently stock setup? What kind of HP increase should I see? Will I need a tune in order to make it driveable? Thanks for any info you can supply.

Scottina06 01-22-2012 07:51 PM

Re: KRC cams

to run those cams.....your gonna have to find a way to get more air into the system. Youll need the basic....cai, TB, 08 intake mani, forged pistons and some race ported heads to go aong with some dyno tuining...IMO.

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 07:56 PM

Forged pistons and heads not required, but tuning will be needed for sure and the usual bolt-on stuff to optimize it. It will run on the stock tune, however not very well. I'd get them but they're not an ideal cam for a stock heavy WK.

Scottina06 01-22-2012 07:58 PM

218's...sorry disagree...those are hot cams

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 558375)
218's...sorry disagree...those are hot cams

I agree that they are hot, and wouldn't be my first pick by a long shot. If OP was bent on using them I would either run a high stall converter or a shorter tire to make up for a soft low end. Heads would certainly help make better top end power, but if this was just a hot DD I'd opt for stock heads (which can support 400 hp N/A anyways) or stock heads cleaned up with big valves.

It could go either way, really depends on what the OP wants to do and how far they're willing to go to acheive their goal.

JeepTing 01-22-2012 08:34 PM

My goal is just to have more power than I currently have. My last 4 cars before my jeep were all ls series engine cars and I'm really missing speed. Doesn't seem like the 4.7 is the best platform to start from. Wish the hemi's were more affordable when I was looking for a Jeep!

FlyinRyan 01-22-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepTing (Post 558395)
My goal is just to have more power than I currently have. My last 4 cars before my jeep were all ls series engine cars and I'm really missing speed. Doesn't seem like the 4.7 is the best platform to start from. Wish the hemi's were more affordable when I was looking for a Jeep!

It's no LSx. The lack of displacement, inadequate tuning support, 9:1 compression, and tight engine bay really does not help.

If you're just looking for a little "extra", HO or 206 cams would be a good start. 08 manifold is a nice piece but is alot of money. I'm looking into porting a Gen 1 manifold to see what gains could be made without all the expense of the 08 manifold.