Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Smoke coming inside the cabin?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/smoke-coming-inside-the-cabin-34559.html)

Fuzion 01-23-2012 12:10 PM

Smoke coming inside the cabin??

The truck has smoke coming in the cabin.... Like oil smoke but I checked under the hood and when I rev it some smoke comes from the back of the motor on the driver side but I can tell from where.... EGR?

cheapjeep 01-23-2012 01:42 PM

Re: Smoke coming inside the cabin??

Does it sound like you have an exhaust leak? The rear exhaust manifold bolts are known to go bad. Also check your valve covers. Maybe you have a gasket issue and its dripping down on the exhaust.

Frango100 01-23-2012 02:27 PM

Or is the PCV line disconnected behind the block, causing oil fumes to appear?

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 02:29 PM

PCV or valve cover leak. That PCV is a mother to get to.

2005JGC 01-23-2012 03:36 PM

Honestly I have had a customer complaint of an oil leak, it was litterally dripping to the ground (cold) warm it was smoking up the back right side of the engine compartment and coating the exhaust collector and pipe. Most of the block was spotless without a drop. It was coming from the EXHAUST PORT! The broken exhaust manifold bolts on this one allowed the oil to drip out onto the hot exhaust and smoke. The only likely cause would be a leak from the exhaust valve stem seal (either worn guide or seal). If it was from the intake the oil would already be combusted, if it was from the rings it would already be combusted, dripping down the exuast valve it would be non combusted and have exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber pulling them out the exhaust.

The exhaust port is not where you expect to see oil dripping from but I have seen it a couple times now actually.

Fuzion 01-23-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 558779)
Does it sound like you have an exhaust leak? The rear exhaust manifold bolts are known to go bad. Also check your valve covers. Maybe you have a gasket issue and its dripping down on the exhaust.

yup sounds like a small exhaust leak....small one though....can the egr cause this also?

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 04:55 PM

No EGR on the 99-04 4.7s.

Fuzion 01-23-2012 05:26 PM

you sure....cause my mech says there is a EGr back there.....you might be right...i will look into it...

Fuzion 01-23-2012 05:28 PM

so scratch out the egr.....now if it is the manifold gasket etc....why would it smoke more when revved vs just smoking the same amount regardless of the RPM?

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzion (Post 558951)
you sure....cause my mech says there is a EGr back there.....you might be right...i will look into it...

I'm positive. I had an '02 myself, and I had the manifold off at one point. The only ports on the manifold are for the MAP sensor and for the PCV.

2005JGC 01-23-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzion (Post 558953)
so scratch out the egr.....now if it is the manifold gasket etc....why would it smoke more when revved vs just smoking the same amount regardless of the RPM?

as RPM rises, oil moves around more, faster, not only that if its coming through the exhaust valve stem seals every up and down pass if its a failed seal or valve guide ever pass the valve makes up, gets coated in oil then gets pushed down taking oil past the seal with it...

as everyone has politely agreed on there is no EGR valve.

Im tellin ya, poke under the vehicle with a flashlight if you see a burnt trail of oil down your exhaust pipe this is LIKELY your problem. As I said before I have seen it, to the point on that one where I added dye and when I pulled the exhaust manifold gasket (customer knew resealing the exhaust was just going to stop it from leaking externally but it was still going to be leaking) there was dye in the exhaust runners.

cheapjeep 01-23-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 559198)
as RPM rises, oil moves around more, faster, not only that if its coming through the exhaust valve stem seals every up and down pass if its a failed seal or valve guide ever pass the valve makes up, gets coated in oil then gets pushed down taking oil past the seal with it...

as everyone has politely agreed on there is no EGR valve.

Im tellin ya, poke under the vehicle with a flashlight if you see a burnt trail of oil down your exhaust pipe this is LIKELY your problem. As I said before I have seen it, to the point on that one where I added dye and when I pulled the exhaust manifold gasket (customer knew resealing the exhaust was just going to stop it from leaking externally but it was still going to be leaking) there was dye in the exhaust runners.

Do you think the leaking exhaust manifold could cause the guide issue? Just curious in case mine ever starts leaking I'll know to not let it go.