Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Front Washer/Wiper - one wipe too many (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/front-washer-wiper-one-wipe-too-many-34564.html)

Play21cw 01-23-2012 01:13 PM

Front Washer/Wiper - one wipe too many

Anyone else notice that when you spray your front windshield with wiper fluid it seems that the wipers go one too many times and caues streaks? Is this programable?

2012 - WK2 Limited

AAAA 01-23-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Front Washer/Wiper - one wipe too many

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play21cw (Post 558758)
Anyone else notice that when you spray your front windshield with wiper fluid it seems that the wipers go one too many times and caues streaks? Is this programable?

2012 - WK2 Limited

Not on mine. Maybe your windshield needs a real good cleaning periodically. This is especially true if you do much highway driving.

MSCA 01-23-2012 02:22 PM

On my other car, the wipers will wipe a couple of times after spraying the windshield washer fluid, then they will do one more final wipe after a pause of about 5 seconds to get any remaining fluid that may have dripped down from the top of the windshield or splashed up from the cowl area. It's really a nice feature.

Play21cw 01-23-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 558815)
Not on mine. Maybe your windshield needs a real good cleaning periodically. This is especially true if you do much highway driving.

My car is 10 days old haha

MSCA 01-23-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play21cw (Post 558822)
My car is 10 days old haha

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's clean. I had some kind of nasty oils or something on a new car I once purchased and it made a lot of streaking on the glass. I cleaned it over and over again, but couldn't get it all off.

Then someone gave me a great tip to use a clay bar on the glass. I used them on my paint before, but never even thought to use them on glass. It ended up working great. The glass came out unbelievably clean.

SixZeroFour 01-23-2012 03:39 PM

Claybar is prob the best way to get it REALLY clean but you can also try scrunched up black and white newspaper and elbow greese for a budget solution.

Play21cw 01-23-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixZeroFour (Post 558880)
Claybar is prob the best way to get it REALLY clean but you can also try scrunched up black and white newspaper and elbow greese for a budget solution.

I heard about news paper, does that really work??

SixZeroFour 01-23-2012 03:53 PM

Surprisingly well - just give it a normal cleaning first the scrub away with the newsprint. Works great.

Ratchet 01-23-2012 04:25 PM

Some folks like to use a mixture of ammonia and water to rinse the glass followed by a polishing with newspaper. It definately works.

Brewster 01-23-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 558909)
Some folks like to use a mixture of ammonia and water to rinse the glass followed by a polishing with newspaper. It definately works.

Yeah, that's old school there. My Dad showed me that, well don't really want to say how long ago.

Ratchet 01-23-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 559107)
Yeah, that's old school there. My Dad showed me that, well don't really want to say how long ago.

Haha. I remember when my granddad showed me that trick. This was back in my bmx bicycle days. He would pop in an 8-track tape and we would jam while I helped him clean his car. I ain't scared. :D

MSCA 01-24-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixZeroFour (Post 558880)

Yeah, I was amazed with the claybar. For anyone who doubts that a claybar works on glass, try this: Use whatever method you think works best for cleaning the glass, then clean it several times using that method until you're sure it is as clean as you can get it. Then take a claybar and use nothing but plain water as a lubricant. Just one glance at the claybar and you'll see all the crap that was still in/on your glass. It really is amazing.