Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Horns Don't like Rain! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/horns-dont-like-rain-34583.html)

HemiDawg 01-23-2012 07:00 PM

Horns Don't like Rain!

Anyone else have an issue with water getting into their horns when running thru deep puddles? Ran thru some this morning and horns hardly honk when locking/ unlocking doors. Usually takes about a week for them to starting sounding normal again.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-23-2012 07:15 PM

Re: Horns Don't like Rain!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 559010)
Anyone else have an issue with water getting into their horns when running thru deep puddles? Ran thru some this morning and horns hardly honk when locking/ unlocking doors. Usually takes about a week for them to starting sounding normal again.

happened to me once last year after driving through an insane storm in jacksonville. took about 3-4 days to work fine again

kb2bon 01-23-2012 07:35 PM

Ya...happens every now and then.

HemiDawg 01-23-2012 08:51 PM

Hmmm, sounds like it is time for a new horn, something louder and mounted higher!

Keirik 01-23-2012 08:57 PM

while we are on the subject of horns, am i the only one who thinks you have to push insanely hard on the wheel to get the horn to sound? I'm so used to my wrx where I can do it with ease

Kashef 01-23-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keirik (Post 559146)
while we are on the subject of horns, am i the only one who thinks you have to push insanely hard on the wheel to get the horn to sound? I'm so used to my wrx where I can do it with ease

I thought I was the only one. I've noticed that when I had my 09 Laredo was really annoying.

Keirik 01-23-2012 09:15 PM

lol, you're not. And i'm not like some small little man either so I know it's not my lack of strength.

wkearney99 01-24-2012 10:24 AM

Yup, mine tends to do the same thing. Takes a few days to dry out. I've wondered whether a strategically drilled hole might aid in better drainage. But it's not been worth the effort thus far. I'd be more inclined to swap out to different horns instead.

nurse3212 01-24-2012 01:15 PM

Amen, brothers. I sometimes laugh at the Jeep commercials that show them blowing through rivers... I hit a puddle and my horn stops working.... Has anyone tried any different horns yet?? I'd be curious if a drain hole would work too.... I've resorted to disconnecting it and shaking the water out a few times...

Z28jeep 02-02-2012 01:44 PM

Same problem here. Only one of my horns is working now. Sounds like crap. Has anyone tried anything different. Saw some small air horns on ebay that plug right in. Don't know how loud they really are though.

zero_psi 02-02-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nurse3212 (Post 559595)
Amen, brothers. I sometimes laugh at the Jeep commercials that show them blowing through rivers... I hit a puddle and my horn stops working.... Has anyone tried any different horns yet?? I'd be curious if a drain hole would work too.... I've resorted to disconnecting it and shaking the water out a few times...

hella super tones... work ****ing great. had them on my jk and my sti and i put my jk threw rivers and sand and ect. stock horn on that failed after 3 weeks

Z28jeep 02-02-2012 03:06 PM

Do they plug right in? I found some on Ebay, but they say it won't fit my WK