Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Another Nasty Throttle body (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/another-nasty-throttle-body-34584.html)

nyc_medic 01-23-2012 07:14 PM

Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Hello All,
I finally got around to installing my new Volant Air intake and figured tht at the same time I would clean the throttle body as it might have never been done before. I'll let the pic's speak for themselves but I will definately be getting a catch can after seeing this. The WK has 66,000 miles on it and would like it to last so everything that I can do will be done. After putting everything back together I started her up and she ran like garbage, was bucking like a bull, so I disconnected the neg battery terminal for 30 secs, then started her up again and she purred. I guess now I'll have to wait and see how the mileage reacts if it does.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...rottleBody.jpg
Before Cleaning

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...donDeposit.jpg
Here I tried to capture the amount that was baked on.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...ic/Cleaned.jpg
All Cleaned up.

I did manage to break the little black tab that holds the connector to the throttle body on but I'm not to worried about it. I have fat fingers and guess I used to much pressure. Total time spent was approx 1hour and a half as I didnt rush and really wanted to get it clean.

I have one question: I'm running a diablosport 91octane tuner and when I installed the tuner I didnt change any of the settings. Now that I have installed the CAI do I have to go and adjust any settings? I guess I'm running a canned tune.
Thanks for looking.

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 07:23 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Yes, the Hemi TBs are the WORST when it comes to caked-on crap.

I wouldn't bother adjusting the settings. The canned tunes are not all that great. I've reviewed several datalogs from folks running 5.7s with mods like yours and even mildly modded trucks need refinement in their tunes. JeepCoop needed about 25% more fuel at idle , and he is only running intake/exhaust. We had to pull a ton of fuel at WOT as well.

If you feel the need for adjustment, you're better off just springing for a CMR tune.

ech0sh4y 01-23-2012 07:58 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Wasn't it stated that the 5.7 TB shouldn't be cleaned? It had something to do with the electronic Tb. I've seen quite a few people cleaning them with no harm. Special solvent/spray? Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced as well?

nyc_medic 01-23-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
I dont see what the problem could be with cleaning the throttle body as long as you dont go spraying the cleaner where it doesnt belong. I'll see tonight how much an effect it has on the truck. I didnt replace the gasket just bolted it back up, but I did wipe around it. I used CRC throttle body cleaner as the 3M brand wasnt cutting thru it. Hope that helps.

Ryan- If I dont like how the truck runs I'll have to have you walk me thru what I need to do to get a CMR tune. This tucks gonna kill my bank account.

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ech0sh4y (Post 559074)
Wasn't it stated that the 5.7 TB shouldn't be cleaned? It had something to do with the electronic Tb. I've seen quite a few people cleaning them with no harm. Special solvent/spray? Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced as well?

Yes, it says right on the side- DO NOT CLEAN....

My take on it is that it seems like as long as you disconnect the DBW plug and are careful applying said cleaner, you'll be OK.

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 08:12 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc_medic (Post 559085)
Ryan- If I dont like how the truck runs I'll have to have you walk me thru what I need to do to get a CMR tune. This tucks gonna kill my bank account.

PM'd

nyc_medic 01-23-2012 08:12 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Whoopssss guess I should have looked, but was distracted by the nastyness of it.

FlyinRyan 01-23-2012 08:18 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc_medic (Post 559098)
Whoopssss guess I should have looked, but was distracted by the nastyness of it.

Its all good. You wouldnt see it unless you were looking for it.

You should see some of the cores I get....:mad: Covered in gunk.

JeepCoop 01-23-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 559032)
Yes, the Hemi TBs are the WORST when it comes to caked-on crap.

I wouldn't bother adjusting the settings. The canned tunes are not all that great. I've reviewed several datalogs from folks running 5.7s with mods like yours and even mildly modded trucks need refinement in their tunes. JeepCoop needed about 25% more fuel at idle , and he is only running intake/exhaust. We had to pull a ton of fuel at WOT as well.

If you feel the need for adjustment, you're better off just springing for a CMR tune.

Trust this man. He knows his shiz!! :thumbsup:

4.whoa 01-25-2012 04:53 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
The "do not clean" should be "clean carefully". dont go crazy spray'n like its a carb. just spray cleaner on your rag,then wipe. Its better to remove it if its bad. you need to keep the cold wet cleaner out of the electronics, THATS the key :thumbsup:

dmsfun 01-30-2012 12:07 PM

Re: Another Nasty Throttle body
 
It's best not to use a petroleum based solvent like carb cleaner; use rubbing alcohol applied on a rag, and q tips for the edges. Takes a while, but if you then put a CC on, it won't cake on again. It is a bit of a pain to continually empty the CC every couple of weeks, and you have to make sure you crank the billet CC very tight when you put it back on, or else it has small air leak, and the engine then runs like crap. Ask me how I know !


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community