Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   I got my WK2...now how to keep it clean!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/i-got-my-wk2-now-how-to-keep-it-clean-34594.html)

RUSH NC 01-23-2012 08:59 PM

I got my WK2...now how to keep it clean!!

I am in love with my 2012 Laredo in Mineral Gray and want to keep it in this condition for a long, long time. I have free car washes for life from my dealer so the outside should be decent and the interior i am looking for recommendations

Firstly - for the exterior, how often is ok to wash it and do those with detailing knowledge at the bare minimum recommend any kind of wax/polish/protectant?

Now the for the interior - what cleaning agents do you recommend? What protectants do you recommend? What are the best for vinyl/rubber/cloth?

All help is appreciated and rep is given where due :thumbsup:

Thanks!

allypally 01-23-2012 09:06 PM

Re: I got my WK2...now how to keep it clean!!

I am sure you will find the answers to all your questions here.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/

bmrisko 01-23-2012 09:19 PM

Also, check these 2 recent threads.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/winter-detail-done-pics-34333.html
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/detailing-question-34330.html

gwnewman1 01-24-2012 01:04 AM

Dirt holds it together man. Mine was spotless and sparkly when I picked it up on Friday the 13th. By the afternoon of Sunday, I had dirt on the tires and mud/water spots on the front end.

kennzz05 01-24-2012 02:30 AM

what type of free car wash, touchless? if its the non touchless kind i think id pass on running it thru one of those once a week even if its free id think hand washing would be alot less abrasive

JTS97Z28 01-24-2012 09:10 AM

Depends on what you mean "keep it clean". Sure running it through car washes every week will make it look clean, but doing that all the time is really gonna pay its toll on your car. If your a super anal car guy like myself you would wash the car yourself in your driveway or garage and do a nice clay bar and wax job once a year atleast.

As for the interior I do not recommend putting those greasy looking protectants on anything. Just use a damp cloth to clean unless you get it real dirty on the inside to where you actually have to use some sort of cleaner. A popular product with the Corvette guys is called Zaino. Check out there site they have some good stuff. One of my favorites is Zaino Leather in a bottle for the leather.

bmrisko 01-24-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 559421)
As for the interior I do not recommend putting those greasy looking protectants on anything. Just use a damp cloth to clean unless you get it real dirty on the inside to where you actually have to use some sort of cleaner. A popular product with the Corvette guys is called Zaino. Check out there site they have some good stuff. One of my favorites is Zaino Leather in a bottle for the leather.

I have found Blue Magic Leather Protectant to work very well on the Saddle interior and it does not leave the leather greasy at all. Also, it will not clog the ventilated seat holes. It is a good alternative at around $6 if you do not want to pay for something like Leatherique.

Amelie 01-24-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSH NC (Post 559147)
I am in love with my 2012 Laredo in Mineral Gray and want to keep it in this condition for a long, long time. I have free car washes for life from my dealer so the outside should be decent and the interior i am looking for recommendations. Thanks!

When you're a consumer that has to buy the newest model year vehicle, As you know nothing stays perfect forever and that's reality and an actuality for everything. Your fighting an uphill battle against the forces of corrosion and age but I would do as other users on here have suggested and just try your best to maintain and take care of it with a good wash and wax every so often, possibly at the beginning and end of every month.

bkwbkw 01-24-2012 09:50 AM

We just picked up a 12 JGC last week too and right when I got it home I used the following:

- Dawn dish detergent
- Clay Magic fine, with griots speed shine spray - surprised how contamination was on the new paint!
- griots garage machine polish 1 with random orbital polisher
- hand applied collinite insulator wax (for winter)
- 303 aerospace protectant on trim and interior plastics and slush mats
- collinite leather cleaner/protectant for seats

We should be good till mid spring without another wax, and I'll wash it at least every two weeks by hand or more if necessary. For the next wax, I'll replace the dawn with regular car wash detergent, griots #2 or #3 (cleaner waxes) and finish her off with collinite 457 (i think, the detergent proof one).

sbraun 01-24-2012 09:58 AM

Depending on the weather in your location, one of the most difficult challenges is keeping the carpets from absorbing the winter road salt and dirt that accumulates over time. A good set of floor liners such as those made by WeatherTech and others are a must. I live in western Canada which can best be described as 9 months of winter and 3 month of tough sledding. I tend to keep the floor liners in place for most of the year with the exception of July , August and September. When I got my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland I Scotch Garded the carpets which helps with the inevitable small amount of road salt that is not caught by the WeatherTech floor liners.

RUSH NC 01-24-2012 10:17 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice

I am going to look into different waxes i can use. Also I live in a downtown apartment so washing myself is kind of difficult with no hose access. Do any of you face the similar problem?

RUSH NC 01-24-2012 10:21 AM

Also if you guys could recommend a simple wax that gives a deep/wet look? Hoping to just use one kind of wax after washing the car and then maybe something on the plastics.

I live in the south so not worried about road salts and such. Thanks for your help