Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   LED headlight bulbs? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/led-headlight-bulbs-34596.html)

Sdalz 01-23-2012 09:41 PM

LED headlight bulbs?

Hey everyone. So I have been thinking of upgrading my headlights and don't want to spend a ton of money right now to convert te whole thing. I've seen some pretty good deals on led plug and play headlight bulbs. My question is has anyone tried these and what did you think? I know I would need resistors to do my turn signals, but would I need them for regular headlights? I appreciate any advice and input that anyone might have

Budasac 01-23-2012 09:47 PM

Re: LED headlight bulbs?

LEDs currently on the market don't project enough light to use as headlights.

Sdalz 01-23-2012 09:53 PM

Hmm well than that would not be good would it. One other option I have been thinking of is the duel color turn signals so my parking lights would almost act as driving lights as well (my 08 didn't come with fogs) think that would help? What would you recommend for bulbs? I'd like to eventually get projectors so I don't want to spend crazy money yet as I'm hoping to do the projectors later tho year.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-23-2012 10:56 PM

you wont see anything with led head lights

kennzz05 01-24-2012 12:54 AM

Are you referring to HID not LED??? these can be purchased reletivly cheaply.plan on spending in the 500 dollar range for projectors. or over 1000, for factory hids. (not the crappy ones on ebay)

the dual color you are referring to are called switchbacks you can google it for where to purchase them, they require having resistors wired in so they arent plug and play. no as driving lights they will not be bright enough.

if youre not opposed to adding an aftermarket switch inside your truck (you could always hide it out of sight) fog lights are not hard to add

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-24-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 559291)
Are you referring to HID not LED??? these can be purchased reletivly cheaply.plan on spending in the 500 dollar range for projectors. or over 1000, for factory hids. (not the crappy ones on ebay)

the dual color you are referring to are called switchbacks you can google it for where to purchase them, they require having resistors wired in so they arent plug and play. no as driving lights they will not be bright enough.

if youre not opposed to adding an aftermarket switch inside your truck (you could always hide it out of sight) fog lights are not hard to add

I have had 2 sets of factory hids and neither one cost me more than 325

DGoral31 01-24-2012 03:26 AM

converting your OEM headlights (non HID) to HID shouldn't cost you more than $200 for bulbs, ballasts and relay.

kennzz05 01-24-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 559329)

im guessing used and per light.

Headlamp assy, W/HID Left 2008-10 List Price : $590.00
Your Price : $424.80

kennzz05 01-24-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 559329)

Sdalz 01-24-2012 08:50 AM

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it, I think I'm just going to get some better bulbs I guess for now while I save up for the better HID and assemblys. But thanks for all the input I appreciate it. I'm kinda a dumba$$ when it comes to converting my headlights thats why I ask, but I must admit there are some great threads on here for doing it when I'm ready

Amelie 01-24-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGoral31 (Post 559339)
converting your OEM headlights (non HID) to HID shouldn't cost you more than $200 for bulbs, ballasts and relay.

No offense, but maybe if you go about it the wrong way.

@Sdalz: As to LED headlights, as everyone has mentioned by today's standards their light output doesn't meet HID standards. There are of course vehicles that come with LED headlamps as an optional package such as the Lexus LS 600H, LS 600HL, Toyota Prius', and the first American car with all LED's was of course the Platinum series of the Cadillac Escalade. So the technology is there and ever evolving but being economical for the average consumer we're far from that.

As most users mentioned, you're better off with investing in an HID setup. Now if you're interested in that, going about the right way or the wrong way is a decision you have to make.

A good temporary solution you could run while saving up for an HID setup is to buy a pair of HIR's, Whether it be for low and/or high.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-24-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 559377)
im guessing used and per light.

For the set, they were around $125 To $175 each and of course they were used