Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Approaching 90K...when to throw in the towel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/approaching-90k-when-to-throw-in-the-towel-34641.html)

swing4terps 01-24-2012 05:18 PM

Approaching 90K...when to throw in the towel?

Looking for some input from the folks here who know these WKs well and probably have had a lot my experience than me. I say that because I've never owned a car with this many miles that I spent more than a couple Gs on.

So I'm quickly approaching 90K on my Jeep. I purchased it in May 2010 with 70K. I've had to spend the following on my car since purchase:

$180 - new HVAC controls (bulbs burnt out)
$120 - TC, diffs fluid change
$140 - Tranny fluid change
$30 - new PCV
$60 - new EGR
$205 - fix trans cooler line leak
$340 - new brakes/rotors for either front or rear (can't remember)
$590 - new PS pump and resevoir

I'm cool with the costs for maintainence (fluids, PCV, EGR) because theoretically they are prolonging the life of my vehicle.

Also cool with the brakes because I realize all cars need new brakes at some point.

What I would consider WK specific costs and consequently am not cool with are the others (PS, HVAC, tranny line). Do I think the cost of these three is exorbitant or other cars don't have similar problems? No, not at all. I ask because my suspension is going to need some attention come Spring and I can see myself throwing some money into that.

What am I after, basically, is some input based on the known problems for WKs and their trade-in/sale value, when do you cut your losses with fixes and move on? Sure, if you've got the money you could just pay, but I'm more interested in hearing logic on IN GENERAL (keeping WKs in mind) when it no longer becomes EFFICIENT to upkeep a car.

Thanks.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-24-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Approaching 90K...when to throw in the towel?

should have sent your controls to Diboblo, he would have fixed them for a fraction of that price! i have 106K miles and i follow the maintence schedule and have had no problems.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-24-2012 05:30 PM

if you are attached to it, keep it........ if not get a new vehicle. i love mine so i plan on keeping it for awhile

swing4terps 01-24-2012 05:39 PM

I hear ya. Unfortunately, Diboblo wasn't a vendor here back when I bought from the dealer.

I like my car, but I don't like it enough to be "wasting" money on it.

99formulam6 01-24-2012 06:02 PM

I always figure about 1000 will be spent within the first year of buying a used car on little things that need to be fixed. That doesn't include general maintenance that needs to be done. So, in my eyes, you haven't really over spent in the time you have owned the Jeep.

If you just want something different, then find something else you like better. But I wouldn't consider the items you have spent money on as a reason to dump the Jeep for something different.

According to the online books, my Jeep (07 Hemi with 88k with every option) should have somewhere around 15k trade in. I don't know what your Jeep has or its condition, but I would figure 10-12k for trade in on an 05 with 90k, depending on where you take it.

Bikemobile 01-24-2012 07:48 PM

If you are making payments and fixing broken stuff i can see why you would be frustrated. I was there with my old dodge dakota. One of the reasons why i try not to finance vehicles more than 2 years old. That keeps the value, miles, and probability of breakdowns lower while getting screwed for that monthly $$$.

Budasac 01-24-2012 10:14 PM

I'm at 96,000 and plan on driving it to at least 150,000 before trading it in for another Jeep.:thumbsup:

cheapjeep 01-24-2012 10:33 PM

Trust me you'll just know when it's time to throw in the towel.

Bikemobile 01-24-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 560051)
Trust me you'll just know when it's time to throw in the towel.

Good point.

zale 05-06-2012 11:17 PM

Have 120K on a 05 limited Hemi.
Have had minimal issues less the $1,000 in repairs other then maint. Never liked the the way the trans/torque conventer hooked up at low speeds. With that said runs well as ever and hope to get 150K before I get a 2014.

Kayak83 05-06-2012 11:37 PM

I'll throw in the towel when my diffs blow themselves apart.

jeff05wk 05-07-2012 06:39 AM

I just hit 100,000 a couple weeks ago. I've put just shy of 20,000 miles on the Jeep since I purchased it 2 years ago. Thankfully, I haven't had to pay for anything except oil changes.

I plan on keeping the Jeep forever. It will become a 3rd vehicle eventually, and just be used for fun. So, sky's the limit I suppose.