Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Navigation Map Display Quality 730/430 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/navigation-map-display-quality-730-430-a-34652.html)

Patrick8917 01-24-2012 07:53 PM

Navigation Map Display Quality 730/430

I just ordered my Overland and like most I canít wait to get it. I did have a question for existing owners about the 730 Nav systems display. If you forget about all of the functions between the two systems, is the 730s Map display as good as the 430? From the pics Iíve seen it looks a bit dated, but I could be wrong. The 430 seems to be a bit more "aesthetically" pleasing. I know these systems have been discussed extensively, but I wanted some additional perspective on this...

I hope this makes sense as I tend to ramble:eek:

armoredsaint 01-24-2012 08:02 PM

Re: Navigation Map Display Quality 730/430

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick8917 (Post 559922)
I just ordered my Overland and like most I canít wait to get it. I did have a question for existing owners about the 730 Nav systems display. If you forget about all of the functions between the two systems, is the 730s Map display as good as the 430? From the pics Iíve seen it looks a bit dated, but I could be wrong. The 430 seems to be a bit more "aesthetically" pleasing. I know these systems have been discussed extensively, but I wanted some additional perspective on this...

???:confused:

rustyosaurus 01-24-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick8917 (Post 559922)

i sort of thought the same thing too. the 730 does look a little dated but it's the only option on the overland and i actually do like the voice recognition, which the 430 doesn't have. there seem to be two different interfaces on the 430, a really nice looking one and a darker, slightly more dated one. not sure what is up with that - no one really seems to know.

Patrick8917 01-24-2012 09:58 PM

Thanks for the response Rusty. I'm just hoping as time goes by they have updates to the interface in addition to map updates. Not sure if that will happen

JDrew 01-25-2012 12:05 AM

I've had both the 430 and the now the 730.. I'm used to the 430 because I've always had garmin products.. However, I'm getting used to the 730 and I'm liking it more and more.

ColdCase 01-25-2012 08:40 AM

The Map display is subjective. They both have about the same resolution but the presentation is different, personally I like the Garmin better, but it is certainly not a deal breaker. You can get used to either display. The biggest criticism of the Garmin system, from those that don’t depend on the Nav for good directions or appreciate good HMI, is that is looks cartoonish. Some of the presentations have changed to remove the colors in an attempt to improve.

The more significant differences are in other features. Although the latest 730N update has made some improvements, the 430N Garmin based navigation still provides superior directions, routes and travel information (e.g. the posted speed limit). The Google maps app on my iPad provides better routing than the 730N. The 730N is not bad, dead reckoning is nice, but for the price premium, the expectations are pretty high.

BobsWK2 01-25-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 560243)
The Map display is subjective. They both have about the same resolution but the presentation is different, personally I like the Garmin better, but it is certainly not a deal breaker. You can get used to either display. The biggest criticism of the Garmin system, from those that donít depend on the Nav for good directions or appreciate good HMI, is that is looks cartoonish. Some of the presentations have changed to remove the colors in an attempt to improve.

The more significant differences are in other features. Although the latest 730N update has made some improvements, the 430N Garmin based navigation still provides superior directions, routes and travel information (e.g. the posted speed limit). The Google maps app on my iPad provides better routing than the 730N. The 730N is not bad, dead reckoning is nice, but for the price premium, the expectations are pretty high.

Your print is very light. Time to replace the ink cartridge. :)

Yeti 01-30-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 560706)
Your print is very light. Time to replace the ink cartridge. :)

LOL :lol:

Angler 01-30-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 560243)

Noob question, so please cut me some slack.

I agree Google maps has the best nav package. Is there a way to display Google Maps for nav rather than the Garmin? I am getting a Summit but would certainly prefer Google Maps to Garmin. I know I can always just use my cell phone but was hoping for a work-around. Thanks.

ErikRP 01-31-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler (Post 564057)
Noob question, so please cut me some slack.

I agree Google maps has the best nav package. Is there a way to display Google Maps for nav rather than the Garmin? I am getting a Summit but would certainly prefer Google Maps to Garmin. I know I can always just use my cell phone but was hoping for a work-around. Thanks.

Short answer, no. Long answer, noooooooo.

Unfortunately you are stuck with the visuals that come with your particular navigation unit, either the 430N (RHB) or the 730N (RER or RHR).

Having previously used the RER and now using the RHB, my preference is for the RER. I haven't got used to the more "cartoonish" graphics of the RHB, but I know there are people who feel the exact opposite. It's definitely a matter of personal preference. Beyond the graphics though I think the RER/RHR units offer more functionality and seems to have an easier interface. But YMMV.

Angler 01-31-2012 02:38 PM

Thanks, Eric. Appreciate the information.

Patrick8917 01-31-2012 07:29 PM

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess anything beats the display I have now...since it does not exist.