Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Riddle Me This! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/riddle-me-this-34737.html)

CaptRB 01-26-2012 02:56 PM

Riddle Me This!

Can someone please explain...like I'm a two year old, what the key differences are between the JGC overland 4X4 system and the one you'd find in a manual transmission Subaru.....

Keep it simple.....looking to explain in ultra easy terms for my old man!

Thanks,

Robert B
NY

Revelation78 01-26-2012 03:14 PM

Re: Riddle Me This!

Subaru & JGC w/QT1:

Full time AWD is similar to full time 4WD - only it lacks the slow speed torque enhancing low range feature. Can be used full time on all surfaces including dry pavement.
AWD was created as a safety feature for modern day vehicles. Not designed for hard work or off-road use. Rough terrain competence has almost vanished - focus is on added on-road stability and performance.
Limited use for off-road.
• All 4 wheels are permanently powered.

Jeep w/QT2+:
Full time 4WD - also called permanent 4WD, can be used full time on all surfaces including pavement.
Full time 4WD was created to provide a vehicle with more traction and to make 4WD more useful for everyday life. The additional feature of a differential incorporated into the transfer case makes it possible to use 4WD all the time.
2WD is no longer available. Can still be a strong workhorse. Some rough terrain competence is retained - the priority is added stability as a safety gain for everyday driving.
Typical lever or switch settings are 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo. Very good off-road when center diff is lockable. Even better when combined with axle differential locks.
• All 4 wheels are permanently powered.

These are the best and clearest definitions I could locate.

Reference: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/...D-autoAWD.html

rubicontrail.net 01-26-2012 03:46 PM

The Subaru Symetrical AWD system lacks a transfer case. This provides a more efficient (less drag) drivetrain than the Jeep. However this also means that there is no low range gearing on the Subaru.

As Revelation78 indicated, this is essentially the same idea behind Jeep's QuadraTrac I system.

The QuadraTrac II system adds a transfer case with a low range providing 2.72:1 gear reduction. The gear reduction results in reduced speeds but increased torque at the axle. This is good for pulling yourself out -- or over -- a sticky situation.

The QuadraDrive II system takes it one step further by adding a rear -- and on some vehicles like the first generation WK and the XK also a front -- electronic limited slip differential (ELSD).

An ELSD offers greatly increased traction for off-road situations by attempting to elminate unnecessary wheel slip. However, the ELSD still allows a small amount of slip between the left and right side of the axle. This is important because as you make a turn, the wheels on the outside of the turn rotate faster than those in the inside.

On vehicles such as the Wrangler Rubicon, a true locker is used instead of an ELSD. This means on dry pavement, with the locker engaged, the occupants of the vehicle will experience what is known as crow hop when turning. Crow hop is when there is built up tension in the driveline on the side of the vehicle that is turning slower. That tension releases with a shudder and a bang as the wheel on that side of the vehicle spins to keep up. As such, a locker can not be used for long periods on dry pavement.

An ELSD on the other hand provides enough slip to be used on dry pavement and at high speeds. However, if your dealership forgets to put in the friction additive when servicing your axle, you too will experience crow hop.

AAAA 01-26-2012 07:16 PM

Simply put from one old man to another, Subaru vs. QT I; not much difference.

frog_a_lot 01-26-2012 07:44 PM

Some Subaru's such as the outback (at least the older ones) had Low Range and some have a LSD Center Diff

rubicontrail.net 01-26-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frog_a_lot (Post 561358)
Some Subaru's such as the outback (at least the older ones) had Low Range and some have a LSD Center Diff

New ones don't have low range.

dlthunder 01-27-2012 12:13 PM

Simple Terms:

1) You HAVE to drive a subaru.

2) You GET to drive a Jeep.

Sorry couldn't help myself, I know a lot of people who love their subaru, it is just not my thing.

CaptRB 01-27-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlthunder (Post 561715)
Simple Terms:

1) You HAVE to drive a subaru.

2) You GET to drive a Jeep.

Sorry couldn't help myself, I know a lot of people who love their subaru, it is just not my thing.

Depends on the Subaru. An STI and even my Legacy GT Turbo is a ton of AWD fun. Also: The Outback, Tribeca and current GT Turbo never needed ANY service.
I'm looking forward to buying a new Overland, but the Subaru's will be a tough act to follow when it comes to reliability.:)

Robert B
NY

Archer9 01-27-2012 12:58 PM

AAAA has it about right. I think that for everyday onroad drivihg - paved or dirt road, and snow or mud covered) all of the systems are basically AWD and work equally well. Only once you get into more demanding off roading then low range and QT-2 and QD features will win the day.

But only a Jeep is a Jeep...and if your pop can't understand that then it's hopeless trying to explain this. LOL

AAAA 01-27-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB (Post 561738)
Depends on the Subaru. An STI and even my Legacy GT Turbo is a ton of AWD fun. Also: The Outback, Tribeca and current GT Turbo never needed ANY service.
I'm looking forward to buying a new Overland, but the Subaru's will be a tough act to follow when it comes to reliability.:)

Robert B
NY

Perhaps. But the current version of the Outback is dealing with unresolved harmonic vibration at highway speeds. Because of that my search took me to the WK2 last year. Price is similar, but I feel you get more vehicle with the WK2 and definitley no vibration.

SEA_GC 01-31-2012 02:31 AM

Probably meaningless, but just bought the wife a Sub Forester and I drive a WK2 so I did a search of Forester offroading.

This fun video came up from England of "stock" Subarus offroading.... Interest if anything else.

http://youtu.be/HWFt2CWkW_w

JDrew 01-31-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEA_GC (Post 564242)
Probably meaningless, but just bought the wife a Sub Forester and I drive a WK2 so I did a search of Forester offroading.

This fun video came up from England of "stock" Subarus offroading.... Interest if anything else.

http://youtu.be/HWFt2CWkW_w

..........Wow