Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Gas mileage FAIL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/gas-mileage-fail-34752.html)

ryrobirds 01-26-2012 08:35 PM

Gas mileage FAIL

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for a little help. My overland Hemi was getting 17-18 mpg when some drunk idiot hit it parked. I get everything fixed and get it back and its getting 12-13 mpg... collision place doesn't know to fix it. Mostly the damage was cosmetic but I got a new rim and A-arm on the driver's side. It's had an alignment and the engine was checked to make sure it was cradled up straight. Seems to be driving fine, no noises or anything noticeable. I've looked as much as I could under the hood making sure everything is plugged in etc. but it's hard because the hemi takes up a lot of room. Could it have messed with my transmission from pushing it in reverse up over the curb? I don't know why it's so bad all of a sudden. It just hit 90k so I am going to throw in some new plugs, pcv, k&n air filter and clean the throttle body. Any other ideas on what could be wrong/how to improve the mpg?

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-26-2012 08:55 PM

Re: Gas mileage FAIL

when did you wreck? was it in the shop long? you will get worse mpgs in the winter because of winter blend gasoline.

ryrobirds 01-26-2012 09:48 PM

It was only in the shop I think 10 days right around new years. It's not the winter blend I've been taking it up snowboarding and to work and back still getting 18 until it got hit. I usually reset my avg mpg whenever I change the oil so it's not taking the avg over 20k miles and I do the math whenever I fill up at the pump. I'm in CO running on 87 octane.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-27-2012 01:08 AM

The average on the evic is over the last 30 miles, not since the last reset

zero_psi 01-27-2012 01:43 AM

yeah my mpg's are shit like 14.9 and im easy on it..

aimpulsive 01-27-2012 02:12 AM

I only get about 10 around town ( stop and go rush hour) and 16-18 on hiway with my 4x4 v8 overland. I truly baby the pedal too!

If you ever figure out what changed and how to improve again, let us know.

zero_psi 01-27-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimpulsive (Post 561554)
I only get about 10 around town ( stop and go rush hour) and 16-18 on hiway with my 4x4 v8 overland. I truly baby the pedal too!

If you ever figure out what changed and how to improve again, let us know.

gotta be the overland lol:thumbsup:

kennzz05 01-27-2012 08:19 AM

is the 5.7 designed for 87 octane?

dmsfun 01-27-2012 08:35 AM

I just drove 600 miles in my Overland 4 x 4 and averaged 22 mpg. I have 75k and recently replaced the MAP sensor, EGR, and PCV valve, and air filter. cost for all parts was under $100 (not through the dealer of course). WIth the hemi it is also imperitive to put a catch can on, as the amount of blowby totally gunks up the entire intake. The throttle body is clean since I have a CC, and I checked it to make sure. WIth 90k on the clock you should replace all those, and that should make a big difference. You can run 87 but mpg will be worse than with 89 since the knock sensor will pull timing. It will run better and is cheaper to run 89 in the long run as a result.

dmsfun 01-27-2012 08:45 AM

I would also not recommend putting a K and N air filter in; it will not improve mpg, and I looked at one under a high res microscope, and compared it to the stock paper filter. ( I am a distributor for optical, confocal, and atomic force microscopes, up to 1 billion x, atomic resoutios) the K & N elements have much larger pore sizes than the paper element, which is how they claim more air flow, but in fact much larger particles are entering into the combustion chamber.

ryrobirds 01-28-2012 11:32 AM

Interesting. I was at the auto parts store picking up plugs and the guy was telling me about some cleaner you can use to get all the gunk out of your intake manifold. He said you take the vacuum hose off the brake booster and put it in a cup of the cleaner and it sucks it through your intake and it dislodges and burns all the gunk in there and smokes out through the exhaust. Anyone else ever heard of that? I can't remember what it's called.

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-28-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryrobirds (Post 562312)
Interesting. I was at the auto parts store picking up plugs and the guy was telling me about some cleaner you can use to get all the gunk out of your intake manifold. He said you take the vacuum hose off the brake booster and put it in a cup of the cleaner and it sucks it through your intake and it dislodges and burns all the gunk in there and smokes out through the exhaust. Anyone else ever heard of that? I can't remember what it's called.

sea foam, it is good stuff