Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   vibration around 65mph (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/vibration-around-65mph-34782.html)

garllo 01-27-2012 02:13 PM

vibration around 65mph

Hi All,
I have noticed lately that around 65mph I am getting a vibration and it seems to intensify with speed. Acts very much like a bad universal joint.If you let off on the power it subsides. There is no front end movement and it seems to have come on suddenly or maybe it was very subtle and I didn't notice it. The Jeep spent a day last week at the stealer's and they said that they drove it and saw what I see. They checked under the vehicle and"didn't see anything apparent" so they balanced the tires and test drove it to find no difference. I have to leave it again next Tuesday and we'll see what happens. I only have 42K easy miles. Other than the common shifter bezel problem , I have had no trouble and I love the Jeep! Any ideas?

dr.lee.baugh 01-27-2012 05:23 PM

Re: vibration around 65mph

Did you check the rear drive shaft u-joint at the rear axle?

Though not overly common, these are non-serviceable and can get stiff spots in them - would be symptons similar to what you are reporting.

garllo 01-29-2012 09:29 PM

I also think that this is a likely problem. We'll see what the dealer comes up with!

i

inferno red wk 02-01-2012 11:54 PM

hey do you notice a slight slamming when you shift everyone and a while my u joint is on its way out im waiting for my drive shaft to come it off of nationial back order mine locks up

garllo 02-02-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno red wk (Post 565628)
hey do you notice a slight slamming when you shift everyone and a while my u joint is on its way out im waiting for my drive shaft to come it off of nationial back order mine locks up

Doesn't "slam" at all. The dealer says that the front drive shaft is the culprit
and they will be replacing it next week.

dr.lee.baugh 02-02-2012 10:16 AM

Sounds like progress. Let us know if it solves your issue. The rear are certainly more common to go, but the front is cheaper - so all the better!

garllo 02-03-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 565818)
Sounds like progress. Let us know if it solves your issue. The rear are certainly more common to go, but the front is cheaper - so all the better!

Will post the results!

garllo 02-20-2012 01:26 PM

Dealer replaced the front driveshaft. Seems okay now!

jeepvibration 04-25-2012 01:58 PM

I have the same problem with my new 2012 GC Overland w 10K miles.