Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Annoying Rear Rattle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/annoying-rear-rattle-34791.html)

Nu2Jeep 01-27-2012 04:46 PM

Annoying Rear Rattle

Hello everyone. Picked up my 2012 GC Overland last week and I am loving it. There is a slight problem that is driving me nuts though. Yes, I do plan on taking it to dealership for an assessment, but I was hoping you guys can give me some opinions. I read couple of posts with similar problems, but I don't know if that could be it. Couple of days ago I've noticed a rattle coming from which I believe to be right rear side of the vehicle. The rattle/squeaky noise is very pronounced when driving slowly over uneven surfaces or bumps. It is also there when I move vehicle from side to side. I tried to eliminate the possibility of stuff rubbing against each other in the back by removing everything including spare tire removal kit and black plastic things around the spare tire. I also checked if the tire was properly secured and it is. With all of that done, the squeaky rattling noises are still there....Very annoying that this is happening on brand new vehicle. Your help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

J13ntv 01-27-2012 11:02 PM

Re: Annoying Rear Rattle

You took out the trunk shade as well? I've noticed that making noise back there. I also have a similar rattle but mine isn't all the time, its only over bumps which are pronounced, like two uneven pieces of pavement which allow it to thud. I believe it is sunroof though possibly.

ibcenu 01-29-2012 08:08 PM

Did u check out here http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/quadra-lift-squeak-34204.html
Sounds exactly what I got..only low speeds over any bump?

ctrlbrk 01-29-2012 08:49 PM

Check spare tire.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

kaflyboy 01-29-2012 08:58 PM

Just got mine back yesterday from the dealer. There were several rattles they were looking for.
1). Check air compressor if you have the quadra lift
2). They took my tailgate apart. There were a few items in there that were loose
3). They took the rear seat out and tightened everything back down when they put it in.

So far so good. I think yours is in the tailgate.

Nu2Jeep 01-30-2012 04:26 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Noise is definitely not coming from items that are stored in the trunk. I suspect that something is up with the suspension. After reading other similar troubleshooting threads It seems that this is a common problem for models equipped with air suspension. Not cool for a brand new vehicle... I'll take it to a dealership soon so they can take a look at it.

cshjgc 01-31-2012 02:41 AM

Not sure if this is your problem but I have a JGC with a rattle in the rear. I had my son climb in the back and it turns out to be the plastic cover on the wiper motor. I have a 7 year old Ford King Ranch with no rattles. Several on my JGC. Not impressed with the quality of Chrysler products.

GrandFa 01-31-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 563217)
So far so good. I think yours is in the tailgate.

more precisely - in the lock the rear window. If you pull your it closer, the sound disappears.

cloud11244 01-31-2012 05:40 PM

If you think the rattle/squeak is coming from the rear suspension when you go over bumps, have the dealer do TSB 1700211. I had the TSB done today and it solved a squeak coming from my rear suspension, especially when driving over things like speed bumps.

claval01 02-01-2012 10:58 AM

I had the exact same thing on my 2011 JGC Overland it was a clunky sound over bumps, at slow speeds. They said that it was the Service Bulletin and had to replace the two shock mounts because of a bushing type ring cracks and causes movement in the shock. Well knock on wood but the noise has gone away since.

J13ntv 02-01-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claval01 (Post 565019)
I had the exact same thing on my 2011 JGC Overland it was a clunky sound over bumps, at slow speeds. They said that it was the Service Bulletin and had to replace the two shock mounts because of a bushing type ring cracks and causes movement in the shock. Well knock on wood but the noise has gone away since.

Also to clarify this TSB doesn't apply to people with quadra lift, as we utilize different rear shocks (load leveling) http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1700211.pdf

claval01 02-03-2012 10:19 AM

The interesting thing is that I do have Quadra lift air suspension...and the did the fix and its all good now...