Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   how did these tiny oily blobs get here? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/how-did-these-tiny-oily-blobs-get-here-34809.html)

Blueflame1979 01-28-2012 12:39 AM

how did these tiny oily blobs get here?

Decided to check the coolant level today, when I decided to open the cap and look through the threads of the coolant resovoir cap. Long and behold, there were little brown blobs spread about on the threads of the cap. Curious to know I too some between my fingers and found it is was rather oily. Please don't tell me I have oil in my coolant. From the outside of the tank and even looking through the threads of the cap the antifreeze looks a healthy green.

So what the hell is this brown sludge and how did it get there, if anyone could be so kind to answer. I haven't removed the cap in a while and was shocked when I saw this. Could it be because the weather here is constantly changing from rain to cold to snow to warm? And also because I drive less than 5 miles a day. Just like the crud that was developing under my oil filler cap because of the reasons just mentioned. I have taken my car out on longer rides but lately I've been doing alota of overtime at work and haven't had a chance to take her out. Please someone tell me this is normal.

Scottina06 01-28-2012 12:43 AM

Re: how did these tiny oily blobs get here?

most will tell you that oil in that spot is a tale tale sign of a blown/leaking headgasket. Any kind of codes thrown lately....like misfires? Coolant use or coolant smell?

Blueflame1979 01-28-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 562166)
most will tell you that oil in that spot is a tale tale sign of a blown/leaking headgasket. Any kind of codes thrown lately....like misfires? Coolant use or coolant smell?

There are no codes thrown. Im not exactly sure What a misfire is, but from what I've read I don't have any jerking motions while driving. I haven't smelled the coolant but from looks of things coolant looks in great shape I had it flushed and refilled about a month ago. I thought it was weird there would be oily tiny blobs in the oil filler cap. I dont see floating around in the overflow tank. Could this be the product of sometime of combustion that's not oil related?

Galaxie500 01-28-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 562166)

X2.
Are you noticing that you have to add oil or water to bring them up to “full” after a while? If your only driving 5 miles a day I doubt the motor is getting hot enough to exhibit a blown head gasket –overheating. But those globs under the water and oil cap are an early sign.

Blueflame1979 01-28-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxie500 (Post 562188)
X2.
Are you noticing that you have to add oil or water to bring them up to “full” after a while? If your only driving 5 miles a day I doubt the motor is getting hot enough to exhibit a blown head gasket –overheating. But those globs under the water and oil cap are an early sign.

Oil and coolant are up to their proper level I never added any. The globs are tiny, like left over residue, a light tan colored they have a shape. Let me rephrase, that they are not mixed with the coolant or in the overflow tank itself, they are actually in the middle of the resovoir cap where it snaps onto the other half that have threads to keep solids from going into the tank itself when pouring in coolant. It's on those threads that I discovered it. I drove 35miles the otherday on the highway, engine didn't show any signs of overheating.

kfc195 01-28-2012 10:45 AM

Sounds like your Raditor hose is breaking down on the inside.

Blueflame1979 01-28-2012 11:52 AM

I took a better peep through the opening and apparantly there's some floating on the top of the coolant. It could have been the same ones from yesterday when I wiped it off some of them fell through the holes in the cap in the fluid.

suzieque 01-28-2012 01:47 PM

I would clean and flush the coolant tank, before assuming the worst, especially if you don't see coolant in your engine oil.