Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   o2 sensors for cats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/o2-sensors-for-cats-3485.html)

B.P.O.D 10-20-2009 10:24 PM

o2 sensors for cats

ok guys i just got 2 of these for my truck! http://www.performance-curve.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1180

2.5" Thunderbolt Metallic Catalytic Converter 415250
http://www.performance-curve.com/Pro...underbolt1.jpg

now do i need new o2 sensors with these? i have no clue so any help will be greatly appreciated....

thanks ryan for the info on these cats!

Marlin 10-20-2009 10:26 PM

Re: o2 sensors for cats

My memory tells me there is no o2 sensors in the factory.... oh wait, you're a 3.7, ummm, just re use you original o2 sensors my man!

B.P.O.D 10-20-2009 10:31 PM

ok cool... i gotta see what they look like. i have no clue. i was under my jeep today and saw the muffler and 2 cats but didn't see hte sensors

robpp 10-20-2009 10:38 PM

dude, you live in a police state - you have state emissions testing....

are you sure you will pass emissions with those things.....

B.P.O.D 10-20-2009 10:40 PM

rob im guessing it is ok i have no clue:( here is the description. sounds like it would be ok

Detailed Description Thunderbolt cat's are designed to give high performance in limited spaces. This high flow converter features a Metallic brick with 300 holes per square inch. This 100% EPA legal OBDII catalytic converter is designed for engine's up to 5.9L / 6000 lbs. (Not for use in California)

Part # - 415250
Length - 11"
Body - 4" Round
Inlet - 2.5"
Outlet - 2.5"
Brick Type - Metallic
Material - 409 Stainless Steel

Matt 10-20-2009 10:41 PM

Irf will just make it rain... he aint concerned with no emissions test!

But yeah, you may want to look into that, lol.

B.P.O.D 10-20-2009 10:43 PM

hehehe anyone know what i need to check:) lolol completely lost here

what does this mean:
"This 100% EPA legal OBDII catalytic converter is designed for engine's up to 5.9L / 6000 lbs. (Not for use in California)"

robpp 10-20-2009 10:45 PM

sorry i didnt mean to crap your thread but this seems more like an extreme mod than a basic one. IMO. if you install them and you throw a code, you will not pass an emission test that accesses your OBD port, as most do. some states dont have that stuff. but you do and you need to pass the e-test. I dont know anything about those cats or if they will work or not, im just saying if they dont, the downside is pretty big.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 84026)
hehehe anyone know what i need to check:) lolol completely lost here

what does this mean:
"This 100% EPA legal OBDII catalytic converter is designed for engine's up to 5.9L / 6000 lbs. (Not for use in California)"

that sounds like it will pass but I see a risk it may not. thats all.

B.P.O.D 10-20-2009 10:46 PM

roughage! well i wont install them till i know for sure. i am moving to PA and by north eastern pa i was told there isn't an emission's test. could be 100% wrong on that though

B.P.O.D 10-20-2009 10:47 PM

rob you aren't crapping on it at all bro! that's good info you're handing out

FlyinRyan 10-20-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 84019)
dude, you live in a police state - you have state emissions testing....

are you sure you will pass emissions with those things.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 84028)
sorry i didnt mean to crap your thread but this seems more like an extreme mod than a basic one. IMO. if you install them and you throw a code, you will not pass an emission test that accesses your OBD port, as most do. some states dont have that stuff. but you do and you need to pass the e-test. I dont know anything about those cats or if they will work or not, im just saying if they dont, the downside is pretty big.....

that sounds like it will pass but I see a risk it may not. thats all.

Theres no need for posts like these, since it appears that you 1) do not live in NJ, and 2) have no experience with this brand of converter, all the above commentary does is incite paranoia and anxiety.

Running a high-flow catalytic converter is not a big deal at all. I live in NJ, AND I have experience with this brand of converter- I run 3 of them on my WJ.

NJ inspections do NOT do a sniffer test for OBD2 (96 and newer) vehicles. Period. They will do a visual inspection (which means you must at least *appear* to run cats, in similiar positions to stock) and they will check your on board computer via the diagnostic computer . This essentially checks for check engine lights, aka CELs.

The ONLY case in which a hi flow cat (or hell, running no cat at all) would trigger a CEL is if there is a O2 sensor both before AND after the cat in question. Most hi-flow cats will not trigger a CEL in this scenario. Even if it did trigger a CEL....installing spark plug anti-foulers will more than likely prevent a CEL from being triggered. If the anti-foulers don't work, stuffing steel wool in it usually does.

Carry on.......

Matt 10-20-2009 11:12 PM

Ryan, I don't think rob was speaking outside of his knowledge-base... just trying to be sure Irf did the necessary research. Apparently he did (coming to you). He was just lookin' out. No harm, no foul.