Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   jeep overheated today (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/jeep-overheated-today-3549.html)

chefalan23 10-23-2009 10:36 PM

jeep overheated today

i was driving it a little hard today and i heard the incredibly loud fan kick on and looked down and my temp gauge was 3/4 of the way to the right so i turned my heater on and tried to make it to the next gas station. within minutes it was in the red and i smelled coolant. i pulled into the gas station and my heater hose blew off where it connects to the fire wall, and the resovoir was bone dry. i waited for it to cool down, added some water to the resovoir and drove it to a jiffy lube a couple hundred yards away. the GM at jiffy lube did a coolant flush, and its running at normal operating temp and seems to be fine. the resivoir level is about half way between the full and add line, but i'm thinking thats probably because of air in the system. any ideas of what caused this? what should i do about it?

Scottina06 10-23-2009 10:41 PM

Re: jeep overheated today

maybe it was not put on perfect or was damaged some how and it came off during the spirited driving

Robert Palmer 10-23-2009 10:46 PM

I'm surprised mine hasn't exploded by now. :lol:

chefalan23 10-23-2009 11:10 PM

i'm thinking the overheating is what might have blown the heater hose off

mjl2610 10-24-2009 11:42 AM

Well if that's the case i would want to know why my cooling system wasn't cooling properly in the first place preventing that whole issue.

Scottina06 10-24-2009 01:20 PM

you sure probably figure out why it was hot and why you lost the coolant

chefalan23 10-24-2009 01:53 PM

checked it today, doesnt appear to be losing coolant. oil has no chocolate milk in it so no blow head gasket. i guess there's nothing i can do other than check the coolant level every time i get gas.

erleep 10-25-2009 01:43 PM

just because your coolant isn't going in to the oil don't mean that you don't have a bad head gasket it could be leaking coolant in to one of the calenders and just burning it off or its leaking out the tail pipe this would be due to a blown head the other thing you might want to look at is the heater core it could be leaking and you would never know it i am a asc auto tech i don't know everything but i shure can help let me know what you find out

chefalan23 10-25-2009 02:17 PM

i dont know a whole lot about jeeps. this is my first one. give me a couple simple places to start looking for a problem. hopefully its something simple

erleep 10-25-2009 07:39 PM

what you want to look for is white smoke coming from the tail pipe or anti freeze coming out the tail pipe bad gas mileage as well and if that is the case any one of them i would pull the number one spark plug and see if it is wet then number two and so forth if any of them are wet you should get the jeep in for a compression test this is the areas i would look to see if the head is bad

no the heater core singing of it being bad or leaking wet floor boards smelling sweet anti freez in the truck windshield fogging up when you start the defroster i hope that helps you

chefalan23 10-26-2009 06:40 PM

no white smoke, no antifreeze coming out of the exhaust pipe, no wet floor boards, no winshield fogging.

erleep 10-28-2009 07:13 AM

now you need to have a compreshion test done you have done everything that you can on your owne and you might want to think about this it might have been a flook and nothing to worrie about